Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got lucky again.

I got lucky again.

I have been shooting a Hart-barreled Howa .223 for the last year or so and it has been an amazingly accurate rifle. The problem has been the Hogue "Rubbermaid" stock it came with. It was bad at first and some stiffening and some glass bedding cured 99.9% of it's ills... except the rubber smell and sticky feel when shooting in 100+F heat. LAst summer I picked up a Boyds laminate stock for a Howa/Vanguard. Undecided as to whether this should go on my Hart barreled gun or my son's factory Varmint .223, I left it be. Yesterday while waiting for my lady friend to finish seating bullet in her 204 ammo I dropped the Hart into the stock. Except for a slight misalignment of the barrel channel leaving a larger gap one side of the barrel than the other, it was a good fit and free floated.. I decided to anchor it down and give it a try, unbedded.

I quickly loaded 25 rounds on some prepped brass and later, after M'Lady was done zeroing her 204, I settled in behind the Howa. The first group was 2" low and right and about 3/4" for five shots. I walked the next five into my 100 yard zero and then fired this five shot group measuring .375" CTC.

I let my Lady shoot the last 10 rounds and her groups were .68" and .7 inches.

Today I shot some .3 - .4 inch groups. This with no glass bedding.... I think I got lucky, and I think I'm going to leave it alone til after the prairiedog season! ~Muir

I'm sick of the sight of this photo Good shooting Cuz.

John
    Last edited by JAYB; 22-07-2014 at 09:37. Reason: spelling mistake
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

What is the twist rate of your newer Howa .223, Muir? And what bullets / load are you shooting? Those are tiny groups!

That Boyds stock is good looking, to my eye.

I shoot an old Smith & Wesson 1500 in a walnut stock, and it will really shoot the bullets 55-gr and lighter. I guess the barrel is the same size as the .308, with just a smaller hole in it That is why I bought it long ago: as a practice rifle with the feel of a bit one. I have been so thrilled at how it shoots.

I posted this earlier but this was shot using the old stock, same load. The bullet is the Sierra 53 grain Match, the primer a Rem 7.5. The powder is H322 -one of the best for this cartridge. The gun was a gift and if I recall correctly, it is a 1-12" twist for varmint bullets.
    This was Winchester Ranger police brass range pick-up. I Small Base FL resize, trim to the same length, prime, flare the case mouth, dump the powder (no weighing: H322 meters like a champ from my Jones measure) and crimp after seating. Bullet seated to the base of the neck.

This load is a winner in most every rifle I've used it in.~Muir

PS: Note that the rifle is newer but sports a Hart custom barrel.....

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

I posted this earlier but this was shot using the old stock, same load. The bullet is the Sierra 53 grain Match, the primer a Rem 7.5. The powder is H322 -one of the best for this cartridge. The gun was a gift and if I recall correctly, it is a 1-12" twist for varmint bullets.
    This was Winchester Ranger police brass range pick-up. I Small Base FL resize, trim to the same length, prime, flare the case mouth, dump the powder (no weighing: H322 meters like a champ from my Jones measure) and crimp after seating. Bullet seated to the base of the neck.

This load is a winner in most every rifle I've used it in.~Muir

PS: Note that the rifle is newer but sports a Hart custom barrel.....
    I recognise that coin

John

I've had it a while. Too long, maybe.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I recognise that coin

John
    See, Scotsman gives someone 5p and he never lets them forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    True but I come from further South than SW London

John