270 win FMJ Ammo

1RSMOR

Hi all I just got my Fac, I am looking for some fmj 270 win ammo for use on in door range to set up new rifle / sight when I eventually settle on make / model . Been looking on the net and it looks like 270 win fmj are like hens teeth/ hard to find..
So any help would be greatly appreciated. The rifle will be used for deer stalking , but dont have any ground where I can zero hence the need for fmj for use on range

Hi all I just got my Fac, I am looking for some fmj 270 win ammo for use on in door range to set up new rifle / sight when I eventually settle on make / model . Been looking on the net and it looks like 270 win fmj are like hens teeth/ hard to find..
So any help would be greatly appreciated. The rifle will be used for deer stalking , but dont have any ground where I can zero hence the need for fmj for use on range

Be a god idea to zero with the ammo you will be using for stalking. Won't the indoor range allow this?

Yip I understand that, the range is only to check that the new rifle/sight is on tgt . I would hopefully be able to check zero on any ground that I am going to shoot with the appropriate ammo for stalking the type of deer on that ground.

135gr SMK's
usually get them from Kranks posted

they have an almost identical POI and trajectory compared to the 130gr Interlocks I stalk with when loaded with 55gr N160

What range if you dont mind me asking? I was at Bisley at Braidwood a few weeks ago and they are putting the finishing touches to the 100m pipe range for use with expanding ammo i.e. Homeloads and the like.

The ranges is Morton clays just out side Livingston thay are just about finished a 6 lane indoor range I have spoken to them and thay have said non expanding ammo only..

The ranges is Morton clays just out side Livingston thay are just about finished a 6 lane indoor range I have spoken to them and thay have said non expanding ammo only..

well I have to say I think that is very foolish as I would imagine that will take out a huge proportion of their potential audience..including me

one of the primary advantages to a pay and play pipe range is for load development
I would say in the central belt there are a hell of a lot more stalkers than target only shooters
utterly pointless distinction between expanding and allegedly non expanding both legally and ballistically and totally unenforceable in the main.

What I turn up with VMax or SST home loads and say they are AMax, if I shoot Gameking and say they are Matchking.....etc etc

Sad news as I was really looking forward to it opening

Last time i spoke to paul the owner up at morton i was told you would be able to shoot what ever you liked.stuart
.just had a phone call an yep only going to be allowed to use non expanding at morton and its still a couple of weeks from opening.

Last edited:

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding there 1RSMOR. While target shooting or competition shooting isn't allowed with expanding ammo (see guidance to police) zeroing and reasonable practise is allowed except on military ranges normally.

doesn't sound like it...

Use of expanding for zeroing is up to the shooter..not the range to control
numerous clubs use black powder, solid lead, expanding etc etc all on military ranges... i was at one on Sunday

Last time i spoke to paul the owner up at morton i was told you would be able to shoot what ever you liked.stuart
.just had a phone call an yep only going to be allowed to use non expanding at morton and its still a couple of weeks from opening.

Hi
Did he say why?
Sounds like Commercial Suicide to Alienate the Live Quarry Shooter.

Yorkie.

Have you thought that this might be stipulated in the Range regulations that have been imposed upon the range and operator?

Have you thought that this might be stipulated in the Range regulations that have been imposed upon the range and operator?

in which case, re-negotiate, change the range layout, or sell up.. short range for FMJ only is not going to happen. sorry to say...A. not for target shooters really, B, not for hunters except those wishing to zero or a bit of practice shooting - BUT, you'll want to control check with your normal expanding ammo before you leave!

I still think that this is possibly some sort of misunderstanding possibly on the part of whoever is running the range. Most commercial and privately owned ranges allow the use of expanding ammo within the confines of the law, it is normally only on military ranges that range orders stipulate non expanding only. As it's their range us civilians are only borrowing (Hiring) for the day so we must do as they stipulate in range orders regardless of how silly that rule may appear to us.

I would suggest that it may be worth refreshing your memory of what the law says about the use of exxpanding ammo by reading the H.O. guide again and then re-approaching the operator to discuss it as I think they may have got the wrong end of the stick on this matter. Unless of course they have other reasons for the ban and they can let you know what those reasons are.

Back