.17HMR Winchester Supreme .17gr V-MAX

The deer man

So far so good along with others in my area using this Winchester Supreme ammo!
BUT . . . has anybody out there had misfires with this ammunition?

I heard some time ago that Winchester make their own .17MMR ammo including the cases or at least have their own manufacturing supplier other than CCI. How true this is I don't know but ever since changing to Winchester I have had no squib rounds and misfires.

This morning I measured the case neck thickness at half way down the neck of a fired Winchester Supreme case. . . it measured 0.011 inch.
It would be interesting to see what other brands measure from a fired case. So Verniers out and lets see if there is any truth in whether Winchester cases are thicker!

I won't hold my breath but if the Winchester appears to be performing we can solve this 17HMR problem with our wallets.

Winchester does make their own 17HMR. I think this is the result of being saddled with some crap ammo from CCI/Hornady that cause the first recall of 17HMR about 5-6 years ago. It all had the Winchester label on the box and Winchester bore the brunt of the recall cost and resulting sales decline.~Muir

So far so good along with others in my area using this Winchester Supreme ammo!
BUT . . . has anybody out there had misfires with this ammunition?

Misfires no, cases with long splits down the side after firing regularly...

i have had no problems with winchester ammo at all but have had misfires and late firing with cci and hornady, stick with windchester

Never had a misfire. Had about two complete non-firing duds in around 3000 round of ammo. Plenty of split necks but overall the performance has been very consistent. Winchesters out-shoot all other brands in my rifle.

Update about the Winchester supremes worth a watch : https://youtu.be/muQYu3mMqSk

Ive had lots of issues recently, I had come to believe this was only problems with old batches but this experience makes me think they are currently still problems. Would be very interested to hear what experiences people are currently having?

Sam

Last edited:
OOH! That's not good. Can't say I've used any Winchester, but with Remington and CCI I can say that splits on the neck after firing are common. I believe it's because, unlike larger ammunition they don't/can't anneal the cases, so they are obviously more likely to crack as they expand. I can't say it's affected accuracy for me though.

Probably won't be using any Winchester .17hmr rounds in the near future.

I do wonder though about how old some of the ammunition is that you buy. In the video he mentions he can only source a couple of makes easily. Perhaps he lives in an area where the local gun shop doesn't have a great turnover of .17hmr ammunition and they sit on the shelf for a good while. Who knows?

after using hornady 20gn for the last few thousand rounds my local gun shop offered me some winchester varmint to try.
what aload of crap.
out of 50 ive had rounds split top to bottom and had to use my knife to prise them back out of the breech.
on saturday i took a shot at a rabbit but i couldnt see what happened if i hit it or not due to the smoke cloud coming out of the barrel and going over the scope a few shots later i got fizzing flames coming out ok if you fancy cooking your pray straight way.
fair enough this is the varmint but its putting me off winchester ammo.

after using hornady 20gn for the last few thousand rounds my local gun shop offered me some winchester varmint to try.
what aload of crap.
out of 50 ive had rounds split top to bottom and had to use my knife to prise them back out of the breech.
on saturday i took a shot at a rabbit but i couldnt see what happened if i hit it or not due to the smoke cloud coming out of the barrel and going over the scope a few shots later i got fizzing flames coming out ok if you fancy cooking your pray straight way.
fair enough this is the varmint but its putting me off winchester ammo.
How old was the batch? I wonder if there's quite a lot of the old stuff lying around on the shelves still. The worst stuff I ever had was the old Winchester. I'd like to try the new stuff but how do you know how old it is?

Back