Thread: Which Swaro....Z ? Z? or Z?

Which Swaro....Z ? Z? or Z?

Hoping to tap into your experience here. I am in the market for a higher power Swaro variable....mostly stalking and range work. What is your opinion on the various Z models....pro's and con's......Thanx

Z6i 3-18x50 BR-I ret...

It sits on my stalking rifle (6.5x55mm) and will 1/2MOA at 600yds on Century at Bisley if I'm in the mood. I'd like to try it out at 1200yds someday, but will probably run out of elevation as the x55 will need 50' of holdover!!! Cracking scope with no downsides
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Z6i 3-18x50 BR-I ret...

It sits on my stalking rifle (6.5x55mm) and will 1/2MOA at 600yds on Century at Bisley if I'm in the mood. I'd like to try it out at 1200yds someday, but will probably run out of elevation as the x55 will need 50' of holdover!!! Cracking scope with no downsides
    If you turn the magnification down, the bottom of the ladder will get you out over a 1000 yds, but it's not very precise. I've given up using my Z6 on ranges and use a scope with turrets instead.

I like the Z6 for stalking, I just zero it and don't touch the scope thereafter.

Regards

JCS

the z3 has a 3x mag range, z4 has 4x mag range and z6 has 6x mag range. the z3 is a non illuminated 25mm tube and is the bottom of the range but the optics and coatings are the same (i think) the z4 is 25mm tube and they are all illuminated again with same optics and coatings (i think) and the z6 id the flag ship with a 30mm tube which will give you more windage and elevation for on the range and is available with or without illumination and with or without a ballistic turret. I've got a z6 2.5-15 and i love it, its a cracking scope, ive also got 2 of the older av range 6-18, the z3 took over from this range and to be honest these are cracking scopes as well, just as clear as the z6

+1 on the Swaro Z6.
    I have a Z6i 2-12 x 50 and it picks up great light in the evening/dawn and can use the 2x to pan around last thing or for woodland stuff or zoom in 12x to check out heads or for longer range.
    TBH it sits on 6x or 8x almost the entire time.
    Illuminated reticle a luxury rather than a necessity.
    The only 'con' is the expense but a lifetime service warranty and the clarity of the glass persuaded me to do it. Hopefully it's a lifetime investment....
    Good luck!

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    the z3 has a 3x mag range, z4 has 4x mag range and z6 has 6x mag range. the z3 is a non illuminated 25mm tube and is the bottom of the range but the optics and coatings are the same (i think) the z4 is 25mm tube and they are all illuminated again with same optics and coatings (i think) and the z6 id the flag ship with a 30mm tube which will give you more windage and elevation for on the range and is available with or without illumination and with or without a ballistic turret. I've got a z6 2.5-15 and i love it, its a cracking scope, ive also got 2 of the older av range 6-18, the z3 took over from this range and to be honest these are cracking scopes as well, just as clear as the z6

Don't forget the Z5! Not a common scope over here, but excellent all the same. I have a Z5, 5-25x52 which I am looking to move on purely because the Duplex reticle is a little fine for me - but stunning glass and better value than the Z6.
    Has side parallax down to 50yds (not the hundred of the 6) and is a nice compact scope. Gutted I can't get on with the reticle.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I think the highest mag is the 5-30x50. Superb scope but topped out at 600 yards in terms of elevation adjustment on my 7mm08 and that was on a 20 moa ramp.

Really depends on how far you want to shoot and what at. At normal stalking ranges (100-250) any of the Z series will work. If you are shooting deer at medium ranges (300-500) you need big magnification to ensure proper bullet placement. Same with longer range target work but as some have already commented you may run out of elevation adjustment with most normal calibres. I like being able to see targets or deer really well so would tend to opt for the 5-30 x 56 Z6. The glass on these scopes is second to none in my view. I am aware that there have been a number of problems with the Z6 series in terms of their reliability in returning to zero when dialing in and out. I had cause to send two Z6s back to Swarovski for repair and both are now working reliably again. The thing to bear in mind is that they are primarily designed as a hunting scope rather than long range dial in dial out scope. The move to the ballistic turret and custom BDC got them into an area where their scopes were competing with true long range scopes like the the PM2, US Optics and Nightforce offerings and as a result exposed the shortcomings in some of the Z6s in terms of their ability to precisely return to zero one hundred percent of the time.

Z6 series has the 30mm tube all others have 1" tube.

i have used Nightforce and had a PM2 but the z6 fitted with BT is defiantly IMHO the better all round scope for a stalking rifle, that will enable if the shooter is capable medium range shooting with ease.

whether the z6 is gen1 or 2 they are all fitted with HD glass if the mag is over 15.

Which is seriously good glass.

i have used 3 x z6 scopes all with BT and not one has failed to return to zero yet. 2 have been on QD rings fitted to Picatinni mounts and taken off in most instances when putting the rifle away in the cabinet.

The only cons I can admit to is the initial outlay ££££ for the scope.