Roe Calibres

Would you shoot roe with a c/f .22 in England?

• Total voters

DL

Just thinking of the strange combination of laws we have North and South of the border.

Mauser66 said:
How about changing the first option to just Yes?

You are absolutely right. I'm not sure I can edit a poll, too much fresh air for me today made me less careful in the wording than usual. :oops:

Buggered if I know how to change the poll wording during the poll itself, but if you put a call in to Labour Party HQ they will probably put you down the right road ;)

Apart from the obvious border what difference is there between a Scottish Roe and an English Roe , there are thousands shot every year with 22CF.
there is a lot of waffle talked about calibres and bullet weights if you stick one in the boiler house it doesnt matter whether its a 50g bt or a 150g rn
dead is dead and if its in the wrong place the same applies your in bother no matter what it is
just wish they would make it legal cause I love my .222

bogwelly said:
Apart from the obvious border what difference is there between a Scottish Roe and an English Roe , there are thousands shot every year with 22CF.
there is a lot of waffle talked about calibres and bullet weights if you stick one in the boiler house it doesnt matter whether its a 50g bt or a 150g rn
dead is dead and if its in the wrong place the same applies your in bother no matter what it is
just wish they would make it legal cause I love my .222

+ 1

If I only had a .222 and there were no silly wee laws in the way I'd just get on with the job. Some of the light varmint bullets may be unsuitable, but normal soft points not driven too fast do a great job. Never felt undergunned with a .222 out after roe.

I disagree with most of the views here..

If some of the shots ive seen were taken with a .22 there would undoubtedly have been a good few more lost deer..

The bullet placement argument rarely stands up in the field amongst such a large group of stalkers with varying levels of experience..

Thankfully the calibres used amongst many of the stalkers i have met have ensured the margin of error has still seen the deer despatched humanely..

Ive met a lot of stalkers especially over the last three years and including myself i have seen a huge number of them with the look of horror as a shot has not gone as planned ..

Terry

Hi terry
sorry mate but I disagree here.
When i stalked Scotland alot I used my 22250 alot for Roe.
The thing with bullet placement is an issue with ALL calibres.
What is the main thing with .22C/F's is bullet weight and bullet construction.
I tried all mannor of projectiles and with very mixed reasults.
The best by far were Sierra 55gr S/P's.
the barnes x were crap as were many other.The Vmax were good but NEVER exited.
The point being stay of the varmint rounds(applicable for the 243 also).
and keep a heavy slower sp round and they are fine.
The .223 has a 64gr sp that would be ideal.
I tried the 60gr partitions again a great choice but they wouldn't stablise in my rifle.
My point is why do people shoot 243's with 55gr balistic tips(they do beleive me). but not someone to shoot a 64gr in a .223??? which is a better constructed bullet for roe. They are both available in factory ammo.

I think if we are trusted to have a weapon and shoot at live quarry we ought to be trusted to chose the correct weapon and calibre for the circumstances.

howa243 said:
I think if we are trusted to have a weapon and shoot at live quarry we ought to be trusted to chose the correct weapon and calibre for the circumstances.

Not everyone has the experience to make the correct choice for the circumstances..

I for one learn daily from this site..

For those more experienced and those comfortable with their home loads etc im not saying you cant get the job done..

My opinion is for the vast majority they are better off packing a bigger punch..

Well I see your point Terry
but I have the experience why should I be penalised.
I have had clients turn up with varmint type bullets in all calibres. not my choice and some wont get the job done.
I recently had some pmc 160gr s.p's in my 7mm rem mag and had them shed their jackets on entry not very efficient and I lost a beast.(ask wayne and andy).There should have been enough wallop to kill a grizzly.
Again factory ammo is supposed to be researched and developed and with 21 years experience. I still got it wrong. with a BIG calibre.
Shots were good bullets crap.
We all should be the same ban em in Scotland or make em legal here.
And if its a ban then so should a 243 with a 65 or less.

There's no right answer and no wrong answer...we can choose a .308 and make a cock up and then blame ourselves, or choose a .222 and blame ourselves and the cartridge because it looks weak. It's as Howa says and just down to being able to make the right choice for ourselves. I really can't stand deer suffering and wouldn't use a cartridge for the sake of using it or trying to be clever. We all feel the same way about the deer, just different ideas about the clubs and spears we use to hunt them with. Terry's right because he is working from his experience and conviction and what he's seen and heard, but his deer will be as dead as ours. So we're all right..and probably all wrong as well. :)

Craig you old peacemaker.. ;)

The world would be a better place with a few more..

And fair play John i respect your experience and choice..

For me what we express on this forum can have a huge impression on those new to the sport and i count myself as one that learns everyday..

Minimum calibres in the right hands are hugely effective but for the majority that bigger punch might just help make the difference between a smile or a frown in many diferent situations..

Warm Regards To All

Before some idiots from a well known fieldsports society got involved in the 1960s and had "park" deer rifles declared illegal for shooting deer the 220 Swift was once touted as an "ideal" stalking calibre for the Highlands!

Indeed I think - but may be wrong - that ONE of the reasons the 244 H & H Magnum came about in the belief that 220 Swift would - as it was - be declared illegal in Scotland for red deer.

Certainly at one stage David Lloyd made 220 Swift stalking rifles.

deer rounds

Well speaking from experiance i love my 22.250 ive taken around 20 does this season and none have ran more than 20 yards. but out on sunday i shot a roe doe with 243 100 grain sp and it took an hour or so to find her. the shot had pulled a little back. thats the differance the smaller calabers are defenitly more accreute. but bullet choice is the key i think. 55g sp for 22.250 great round :D

We all learn everyday but at some point surely we should be judged to have learned enough to make a judgment call.

To get into stalking these days you need to jump through a lot of hoops. I would like to think that if you have been vetted by the police, passed your DSC1 and then paid for accompanied stalking that you may have learned what when and how to take a shot.

If you are a veteran of the site ( or use the search facility ), you will know that calibers, their use on different species and the point of impact are emotive topics that cause heated debates amongst people who have a great deal of experience. This surely proves that there are no right or wrong answers. At the end of the day the decision is (and should be) made by the guy pointing the rifle.

I am very much against too much government and to be told I can use a 55 grain round out or a .243 rather than a .22-250 just seems a bit silly. Do I need to be told that No 7 shot is too small for Pheasant? (Just making a point. Am not saying it is or is not)

On a practical note, a beginner with a .270 or .308 may not find accurate placement of a shot as easy as with a .223 .

We are grown up boys with grown up toys and should be treated as such.

No one wants a runner.

Back