Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Reasonably Priced Optics?

More Reasonably Priced Optics?

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to spend approx 1k on a new scope.

I was hoping for a z6i, 624i or zeiss diavari. However, I'm surprised how,they're holding their prices.

From what I can see, the prices on top optics have risen to crazy levels. The manufacturers have made a rod for their own backs by charging what they have and can't drop them back down as they risk alienating those who've bought at those prices. To me, this is one of the reasons we're seeing lower priced ranges from zeiss and nightforce.

Now my dilemma is this. Do I throw some more money at a scope, or hold out for the manufacturers bringing more ranges of more reasonably priced higher-mag optics?

If any members have any prior knowledge of impending new product launches, I'd be eternally grateful.

Novice

If you can sacrifice illumination then the world opens up a little in that price band
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

yeah as above if you can sacrifice the illuminated ret you would pick up a decent s/h z6 from mcleods he always has a good stock of all the models. If you are set on having illumination the new 2.5-15x56 r2 meopta looks the business and you could get this brand new for 1K. I believe it has been made to rival the z6 etc but wether it will live up to it i dont know but cant wait to get a look through one

Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Monarch, Swift and Minox variables have 95% light transmission. They cost $200 to $600 USD.
    The Swift and Minox both have Schott BaK7 glass.

I wanted a good quality scope with some power for load testing at 300+ yards, but small enough to actually use for hunting, and low enough power for hunting. I just ordered a Minox zv3 4.5-15x44 with side parallax adjustment and their BDC reticle, fine plex, for $210.00 including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    yeah as above if you can sacrifice the illuminated ret you would pick up a decent s/h z6 from mcleods he always has a good stock of all the models. If you are set on having illumination the new 2.5-15x56 r2 meopta looks the business and you could get this brand new for 1K. I believe it has been made to rival the z6 etc but wether it will live up to it i dont know but cant wait to get a look through one
    But the reverse of that, if you go for the Meopta then it wont hold its value like any of the other makes
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Thanks for the input gents.

I want to hold out for illumination as I'm set on a reticle on sfp. I buy into the 'aim small, miss small' school of thought and feel there's a bit too much of the target behind the ret on my fixed and variable meoptas.

Bigboab. - Any idea if the r2 will be sfp?

Novice

Hey Novice,

Not 100% but pretty sure it is second focal plane which i also like

BK is right though it wont hold value as well as a z6 or zeiss victory. but if its a keeper it does represent good value and meopta seem to have decent aftersales as well.

Can be hard to get hold of - Mike Norris a good bet - Vortex. You'll get a great illuminated scope ( if you really really really must ) with substantial change from 1000.

Also forget the old Minox ZA series and their 'issues' - look at the ZEi 5 range - German made, Schott Optics. Quality glass - again with substantial change from 1000. Tracking them down can be hard too - Garlands best bet at the moment.

Interest declared - we've dealt with both makers and have a ZE on the course rifle.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Leupold VX-R has a really nice red dot with about 9 brightness levels on their fine duplex, heavy duplex, and German #4 reticles, in 30mm tubes, for about $550.00 USD. Except for a low-power DGR scope, the red dot seems useless. It is for close shots in bad light. Putting it on a high power scope at great add cost makes no sense to me - neither fish nor fowl. Why not buy a dedicated red dot sight or low power scope and swap out with the long range one when the shooting range and light changes that drastically?

Alan Rhone has some ex demo illuminated Zeiss Diavari for under a grand on their online store.