Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shoot or no shoot !

shoot or no shoot !

Went to a new permission yesterday to meet the owner. After a quick chat about boundaries while watching 30 fallow chomping her grass I later saw a fallow fawn with a busted front leg. Was getting about ok but only put it down whilst standing. So would you have shot it or left it?
    Atb steve

If it was broken it would have been wrong not to have done so.

I'd have probably shot it (although out of season- bit on he grounds of ending suffering) if the owner would not have objected. But not having been there who can really say.

I would make every effort to shoot it.

Ff

I would have shot it without a doubt or second thought. Why wouldn't you? It may well get fly blown at this time of year in addition to the pain it is clearly in!
    Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I'd have probably shot it (although out of season- bit on he grounds of ending suffering) if the owner would not have objected. But not having been there who can really say.
    Why do you need to be there to decide? The description is quite clear!
    Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Why do you need to be there to decide? The description is quite clear!
    Baguio
    Not really, there's all sorts of reasons why not. The op does it make clear whether he has been given permission to start culling right away (if not is it possible that to do so might cause problems with the landowner). the op does not make it clear whether here may be others on the land at the time which would make culling the deer imprudent at the at time. He also does not make clear whether a safe and clear shot was available.

had I been there it is possible that all these factors would have been ok, therefore I would have taken the shot. Therefore as you see the description was not quite clear enough for me to commit definitively without being there, a reasonable position I thought?

Seems like the perfect opertunity to shoot an injured animal and end existing or future suffering, whilst showing that deer stalking provides an ethical and needed solution to the control of the population. Rather than people thinking we just shoot them for fun. No farmer would allow a sheep of cow to limp around with a broken leg without doing what was required to end the suffering. If they did they could risk being accused of animal crulety. We hunters are no different. It is our responsibility to reduce or stop an animals suffering if we can. Just because it's a wild animal makes no difference. It may bugger up a stalk or scare off your intended target but that's just tough, our ethics should dictate that what is right be done above all else. This is not a dig at you and I understand you may have thought the land owner would question your decision to shoot a nice little bambi. It's your choice and you may well be happy you made the right one. I hope others will read and take on my thoughs for future decisions. Happy hunting. Ps I wish I had a nice bit of ground and 20 fallow to be having a go at. You're very fortunate. ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Not really, there's all sorts of reasons why not. The op does it make clear whether he has been given permission to start culling right away (if not is it possible that to do so might cause problems with the landowner). the op does not make it clear whether here may be others on the land at the time which would make culling the deer imprudent at the at time. He also does not make clear whether a safe and clear shot was available.

had I been there it is possible that all these factors would have been ok, therefore I would have taken the shot. Therefore as you see the description was not quite clear enough for me to commit definitively without being there, a reasonable position I thought?
    Do be serious Mike. That is a ridiculous post IMO. The OP was quite clearly asking for opinions on shooting it on welfare grounds not on permission or shot safety factors. I despair sometimes!
    Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Do be serious Mike. That is a ridiculous post IMO. The OP was quite clearly asking for opinions on shooting it on welfare grounds not on permission or shot safety factors. I despair sometimes!
    Baguio
    Perfectly serious, please re read my original post. I said I would have shot it In the absence of unknown circumstances which might preclude shooting it. Thought that a reasonable enough stance.

no need to ridicule me for that, you might not agree with me but please be civil.