Thread: Combination gun

Combination gun

Hi chaps I'm about to put in a variation to get a combination gun and have a couple of calibre choices really. Ideally a .22wmr over 12 or 20 bore but would take .22lr over 12 or 20 too if that's all is out there.

If you have one gathering dust or know of any in your local gunshops please let me know. Can only afford 2nd hand and general condition not important as it'll be used for rough shooting in all weathers over the winter,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Stratts, keep your eyes peeled on Holt's and Southam's auctions. They do crop up quite often, and the old Savage ones are usually very reasonably priced (although usually quite rough looking).
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Agree with the above, but even better than the savage are some of the older ones that have been religned to 22rf.

Or what about a Brno of Tikka/valmet/fin classic in 222or 223?

Just been in mgr at wood hall , 222 over 12 , on shelf , think it was 600 , but if I know Andrew he will always have a deal , atb Brian

Established Poster
    .222 over 12g would be a really useful little gun. I shoot on foot so always have to make the choice of rifle or shotgun but that combo would be pretty much perfect.

on what grounds can you apply for a combination gun, would my situation be classed as 'good reason' or are there more strict requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by bicykillgaz View Post
    .222 over 12g would be a really useful little gun. I shoot on foot so always have to make the choice of rifle or shotgun but that combo would be pretty much perfect.

on what grounds can you apply for a combination gun, would my situation be classed as 'good reason' or are there more strict requirements?
    I've been in touch with my force and there is no problem getting one. My reason being I have the ground for rough shooting during the winter and the combi gun will allow me the chance of shooting fur and feather. Also I'm going to be taking it out when checking traps so will be able to dispatch quarry and shoot vermin with the one gun. My choice being .22WMR over 20 bore.

Can't think of a better reason than those mate.

Also had this response about what to put on the form if it helps.

If they will be two rifled barrels & will appear on your FAC then you will need to specify the two calibres.

If one of the barrels will be a smooth bore over 24” long then you will only need to specify the calibre of the rifled barrel for the acquisition

Stratts

Given that you don't necessarily know the rifle calibre because it depends on availability, what did you put on the variation form? Just asking as I'm about to do the same.

Nothing yet mate as I haven't done it but I'm going for .22wmr as I may have found one

SD Regular
    From your descriptions, I'm assuming you mean you want a drilling rather than a combination gun.

Sportsman have a beautiful secondhand Krieghoff - twin 16 bore over 22 Hornet - at a very good price - that I mention, sort of hoping someone buys it before I do.....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

i have a BRNO .243/12 bore combi and good reason was opportunist shots on deer whilst out rough shooting.iv said it before i just dont know why theyr not more popular here.you only have the one shot at game birds but i shoot over setters so theyr usually well set up shots so no big dissadvantage.i like mine and iv shot a few deer with the open sights really handy tool.