Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun advice.

Shotgun advice.

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I'm trading in my lanber 20g for a semi auto. The shop I'm getting my new gun from doesn't have any that fit. I'm 5"4 with quite short arms and hands so all the semi autos feel quite top heavy. Is there anyone that could recommend any or even a rough idea of barrel length that would suit as the shop has to order in? I'm not fussy about make/model as long as it's a wooden stock and not synthetic. The lanber I have at the moment fits quite well.

advice will be appreciated

stacey

my personal advice,its up to you dont get an auto,1 if you go claying you will get glared at 2 you dont probably need one two barrels will do
    DONT START

plus if this is your only gun, if you do get an invite on a Game shoot you will have to decline as autos are frowned upon, autos great as a vermin gun and on clays and also for the beginner cos of the recoil, but these day you can get rid of the recoil by using lower gram cartridges 21gt or 24g.

Stick with the O/U

whats your reason for getting rid?

You will struggle to get a semi to fit the way a conventional shotgun fits. The action/reciever makes for a long and heavy gun.

If the Lanber fits you and happy with it, seriously consider keeping.

Most semi-autos are going to be longer; simply as a result of the design. In addition many will have springs back into the stock, so shortening can be problematic.

You haven't mentioned a particular reason, so having to just guess; but if an auto is a must and happy with 20b, then worth looking at a model built to smaller dimensions - like the Remington LT20/ Sporting 20.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I normally would have kept the lanber but the reason (I know it probably sounds stupid, but I can't help it ) it's due to an infection in my joints I can't cope with the recoil (and I know there's not much recoil on it), but it's absolute agony from my fingers to my neck.
    I bought it from a friend nearly two years ago, he only owned it for 6 months and think I've put 60 cartridges through it.
    I don't go clay pigeon shooting so that wouldn't be an issue, it's just for crows, foxes.

stacey
    Last edited by Stacey; 06-08-2014 at 17:49.

We got the Remmy LT20 because my better half has back problems, very soft shooting - though 20b options cartridge wise can be limited.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I normally would have kept the lanber but the reason (I know it probably sounds stupid, but I can't help it ) it's due to the infection from the rotten tick spreading to my joints I can't cope with the recoil (and I know there's not much recoil on it), but it's absolute agony from my fingers to my neck.
    I bought it from a friend nearly two years ago, he only owned it for 6 months and think I've put 60 cartridges through it.
    I don't go clay pigeon shooting so that wouldn't be an issue, it's just for crows, foxes.

stacey
    Hi have you tried lighter loads, sounds a simple fix but often overlooked.

ATB wb

Hi Stacey
    What cartridges are you using at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    We got the Remmy LT20 because my better half has back problems, very soft shooting - though 20b options cartridge wise can be limited.
    Thanks I'll have a look into that

we already have a 12g semi auto but it's just too big, I can shoot that with 4's and it doesn't bother my joints too bad. I've tried lighter loads of the 20g but I don't know I just can't get it right. It's strange to describe, other people don't notice any recoil and neither did I but now it's not the recoil on my shoulder but it's from when I squeeze the trigger it goes right up my hands and arms to my neck. After shooting it a couple of times you can see the purple lines swelling through my hands to my elbows

stacey
    Last edited by Stacey; 25-07-2014 at 15:12.