Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle bedding.......

Rifle bedding.......

I have a question:

I'm having trouble getting my head around why bedding is important in a rifle with a free-floating barrel. I can see that without a free-floated barrel you want forend pressure to remain constant and you don't want the action and barrel moving around in the stock. With a floated barrel so long as the barrel is clear of the woodwork, what's the problem?

Please help me understand

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    I have a question:

I'm having trouble getting my head around why bedding is important in a rifle with a free-floating barrel. I can see that without a free-floated barrel you want forend pressure to remain constant and you don't want the action and barrel moving around in the stock. With a floated barrel so long as the barrel is clear of the woodwork, what's the problem?

Please help me understand
    read Nathan Forsters articles - Terminal Ballistics Research

Thanks very much PKL. So it's not just the barrel but the harmonics of the whole system. Learn something new every day.

absolutely spot on, a system with no pressure applied anywhere, but completely sturdy has good potential for repeatable accuracy, and which is solid enough to support the weight of the barrel (being floating), without creating movement or stress in the action area. there's of course also the added benefit of being able to take the barrelled action out and clean it, then replace it and as long as the torque on the action screws is the same, one should not see a change in zero (which can sometimes be the case for non bedded actions after having been removed).

Thanks again PKL.

Would bedding the action change my best loads so saying about harmonics, will they not shoot aswell, when you take the t3 action out of the plastic varmint stock there is nearly nothing to bed, the stock fits so tight on the action it hard to get on and off, I would say thats a good fit

The action may be tight in the stock but is there even contact between the action and stock? Is the force holding them together evenly distributed?

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Would bedding the action change my best loads so saying about harmonics, will they not shoot aswell, when you take the t3 action out of the plastic varmint stock there is nearly nothing to bed, the stock fits so tight on the action it hard to get on and off, I would say thats a good fit
    Just take a look at a quality stock with an aluminium bedding plate and compare. worlds apart. As for bedding it should make your rounds even more accurate, certainly not worse if done correctly. Not sure I would bother bedding and pillar bedding in some of the factory plastic stocks like Tikka, Remington, Browning etc.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    There are schools of thought that suggest that the stock touching the sides of the action tightly can impose their own influences. Which is why some "bedded" actions have a small gap down the sides of the receiver. Personally I think this is done because it's easier and quicker.

Now with alloy bedding plates I find it interesting that no mention of thermal expansion and contraction is mentioned. Also no mention of stress relieving the alloy "plate or Block" which will move and possibly warp with temperature changes. I also think this is probably due to this information not fitting in with the bedding schools agenda .

If bedding my t3 action into the t3v stock makes it more accurate I will eat my hat, am currently using 130gr vld hunting heads that can shoot bug holes at 100yds if I do my bit, how can I improve on that, sloppy fitting action and wooden stocks should be bedded.