View Poll Results: If you ONLY have access to paid/invited stalking, do you have your own rifle?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have my own rifle for stalking

32 91.43%
  • No, I borrow/use an estate rifle

3 8.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Own rifle vs Estate rifle

Own rifle vs Estate rifle

A poll for those who only stalk by invitation with others and/or paid outings. Do you have your own rifle, or do you use borrowed/estate rifles?
    The poll is just for curiosity, but I'd also be interested to hear how those of you who do own a rifle got on getting FAC granted without their own/specific ground.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

be interested myself simon ime going through this process now myself as ive got a 223 nothing bigger yet,atb doug,
    DONT START

Pretty easy book a couple of paid stalks with a pro stalker and pop the confirmation letters in with your fac application , shouldn't have a problem
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Just put in a variation for deer stalking. I asked for a 6.5X55 and a .308 with no stalking of my own. Had a couple of stalks booked and gave the person's details in a brief covering letter. The chap was not contacted.

I was asked why I wanted two - I said 6.5 for woodland and .308 for hill.

I had done my DSC 1.

Both granted without a hitch (also added a 22-250 at the same time).

No problem.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

thats in the pipeline jimbo you ok mate, thats exactly what iv put in for apache
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    thats in the pipeline jimbo you ok mate, thats exactly what iv put in for apache
    Not amazing mate but plodding on ya know hope it all comes off ok for you !
    Atb jim

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Just put in a variation for deer stalking. I asked for a 6.5X55 and a .308 with no stalking of my own. Had a couple of stalks booked and gave the person's details in a brief covering letter. The chap was not contacted.

I was asked why I wanted two - I said 6.5 for woodland and .308 for hill.

I had done my DSC 1.

Both granted without a hitch (also added a 22-250 at the same time).

No problem.
    Hold on a mo .... Our resident fan of dsc training really has no other experiance other than that ?? Just training !!! Lol things are starting to make sense now

I'd done maybe ~25 guided stalks over ~18 months. Killed some deer. Done some walking in the woods and saw nothing....

Not everyone has a mentor or family members who can take them shooting.

Guided stalking, level 1, own gun, more stalking, level 2 worked quite nicely for me.

My main limiting factor is time to get out stalking - on call 2 nights in 3.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

get a lot of guys that come stalking who have a rifle but have to use ours as a guest so they can get a letter to say they have been stalking on 'another' ground so that the FLO will look at opening up their ticket.

and that's after dsc1!

When I applied for a deer calibre, I had land suitable for centrefire but there are no deer on the permission. I was fortunate enough to have occasional access to stalking by invitation so I added a covering letter to my application stating I was booked on a DSC1 course and including details of the friend who invited me (he wasn't contacted) and had it granted no problem.