Thread: Dsc 2 and estate rifle.

Dsc 2 and estate rifle.

When at the cla I was discussing with other deer branch members weather it is possible if the candidate did not own his/her rifle to do dsc level two with an estate rifle?

your thoughts?

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Taken from the dmq website....

Do I need my own FAC and rifle ?
    No. A candidate may borrow a rifle to do their culls provided the rifle is borrowed from the owner or occupier of the ground being stalked, and the FAC holder accompanies the candidate. The candidate must be over 17 years of age, unless they are over 14 and hold an FAC in which case the conditions thereon must be complied with.

David

As DavidM notes above - so long as use is legal in all respects, the PC can be met without the need to possess a FAC or own rifle.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

No problem in using the estate rifle provision for level 2. Notwithstanding that in this situation the witness is likely to be providing stalking and they will have their own requirements for a shooting test I would expect a candidate to request a zero check and to ask in advance what they would be using in terms of rifle & cartridge and to request familiarisation before beginning witnessed stalks so are then able to answer questions and demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of what they have been given during their stalks. I would not be keen on someone assuming what they had been provided with was zeroed, a legal cartridge, a suitable bullet etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingers243 View Post
    No problem in using the estate rifle provision for level 2. Notwithstanding that in this situation the witness is likely to be providing stalking and they will have their own requirements for a shooting test I would expect a candidate to request a zero check and to ask in advance what they would be using in terms of rifle & cartridge and to request familiarisation before beginning witnessed stalks so are then able to answer questions and demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of what they have been given during their stalks. I would not be keen on someone assuming what they had been provided with was zeroed, a legal cartridge, a suitable bullet etc etc.
    Good answer. I have had several guests undertake DSC2 stalks under these conditions without any problem.