Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lady and the .204 Ruger

The Lady and the .204 Ruger

I took my Lady out shooting prairiedogs for the first time today at the warm up shoot for the Soap Creek Prairie Dog Association annual gathering. She was using 40 grain V-Max/Varget loads in a CZ American Varmint .204 Ruger that I set up especially for her. I was very proud of her. Shooting over a camera tripod she scored eight hits of ten shots a distances from 210 to 270 yards -in a shifting cross wind, no less- with no coaching. She had taken the ballistic table print-out I'd made and studied it this past week, much to the woe of those beer-bottle sized rodents. It was a small town covered with tall grasses and shots were few and far between but she accounted for herself well. She certainly earned the T Shirt from this years meet and her membership to the Association.

Unfortunately, she really likes that CZ which is too bad: It's going to be set back and rechambered to 20 Tactical next week. I hate that f-ing short-necked .204! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I took my Lady out shooting prairiedogs for the first time today at the warm up shoot for the Soap Creek Prairie Dog Association annual gathering. She was using 40 grain V-Max/Varget loads in a CZ American Varmint .204 Ruger that I set up especially for her. I was very proud of her. Shooting over a camera tripod she scored eight hits of ten shots a distances from 210 to 270 yards -in a shifting cross wind, no less- with no coaching. She had taken the ballistic table print-out I'd made and studied it this past week, much to the woe of those beer-bottle sized rodents. It was a small town covered with tall grasses and shots were few and far between but she accounted for herself well. She certainly earned the T Shirt from this years meet and her membership to the Association.

Unfortunately, she really likes that CZ which is too bad: It's going to be set back and rechambered to 20 Tactical next week. I hate that f-ing short-necked .204! ~Muir
    Hi muir
    very pleased for your lady sounds some very good shooting
    Also pleased your going for a proper calibre
    I meant to post some pics on your I got lucky thread the other day but just been
    too busy with pheasants
    got my custom build shooting one whole groups now with 50 grain Bergers and vit
    just seems to get better this Rig
    Best of luck with your rebarrel
    regards pete

Oh Muir is not going to re-barrel ................................. just set back and re-chamber. Something that most smiths in the UK are loathe to do.

A certain well known smith quoted my 900 to alter the barrel tenon and ream the chamber on a brand new BSA manufactured barrel to 280 AI from 7x64 ........................................ no I kid you not. The cost also included the new reamer and it's range of pilots which the smith then got to keep .

Muir nice going. Please pass along my congratulations to your Lady friend .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Oh Muir is not going to re-barrel ................................. just set back and re-chamber. Something that most smiths in the UK are loathe to do.

A certain well known smith quoted my 900 to alter the barrel tenon and ream the chamber on a brand new BSA manufactured barrel to 280 AI from 7x64 ........................................ no I kid you not. The cost also included the new reamer and it's range of pilots which the smith then got to keep .

Muir nice going. Please pass along my congratulations to your Lady friend .
    I'll pass on the salutations, Kevin, thanks. And you are correct: The rechamber is a simple set-back and re-cut process. A quick look shows the barrel shank needs to be moved forward about .140" for the Tactical reamer to clean up the old 204 chamber. I really wanted the 20 Practical but the difference in case tapers dictated that about 3/8" of shank needed to be removed. The result of the Tactical will be that it has a longer neck than either the 204 or the Practical and like the Practical, can be made from .223 brass. I like this better than buying high priced Whorenady brass @ .80$ a casing. I'm not as much of a cheapskate as I am practical: I have at least one combat rifle in .223 for which I do not reload. This generates a supply of once fired .223 brass. Additionally, the local Federal law enforcement guys 'qualify' with their M-16's at our range leaving 20 to thirty pounds of .223 brass on the ground. Again, an almost endless supply of brass. Rechambering the 204 seems like the best thing to do.

And yes, Brit gunsmiths seem loathe to do this simple chore. I have done hundreds of them.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 27-07-2014 at 14:17.

Yep. She was killing critters with extreme discretion. 200-300yds...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naomi2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	484.9 KB 
ID:	45072

I can confirm Muir sure has found a gem. Good job amigo!

Sneaky shutter-bug Marine!
    Thanks for coaching her while I spotted, Amigo.
    ...and yeah she can shoot.
    I kinda like her.~Muir

just looking to learn something but whats wrong with the short neck?

Muir,

Why not get her a real woman's rifle, a 243 for instance.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    just looking to learn something but whats wrong with the short neck?
    Nothing exactly, but longer is better in my book. It's the neck that aligns the bullet with the bore right?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Muir,

Why not get her a real woman's rifle, a 243 for instance.

SS
    Did that but she wants a 30-06.~Muir