Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notify Police of empty premises

Notify Police of empty premises

Before I left to go on holiday last week I gave the local polis control room (Police Scotland) a call just to inform them that my house would be empty for the week I was away. After being transferred from switchboard to advisor, I was informed that they do not take calls of this sort these days?
    They seemed to pull up all my details from my mobile phone number and I did not inform them that I was a FAC holder as for the purpose of the call I thought it to be irrevelant. The main reason was to give key holder details to save them any bother should there be a problem and due to the recommendations from them, in years gone by, to let them know what was happening. Rather reluctantly my holiday dates were noted and although the advisor was very polite and courteous, I couldn't help but feel that I'd just wasted their time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or indeed, does anyone bother to call in these days or is it just me being over cautious?

Cheers
    Phitt

I usually e-mail them to advise that I will be away but have rendered any rifles & shotguns inoperable by removing bolts & shotgun barrels & lodging them with Dicksons; they usually respond by e-mail to thank me for my diligence etc

I remember as a young cop, many years ago, the "empty premises" book.

At muster at the start of the shift, the Sgt would allocate the details of the property to whichever officers beat covered where the house was located.

You were expected to check the house during your shift and householders were encouraged to complete the relevant card with keyholders details ect and hand it in to their local police station before going on holiday.

That was in the East end of Glasgow what is now what they call a "socially deprived area" and not a little village.

Lots of people use the system and it provided a little bit of reassurance and less worry about their house being empty when they were away.

Like many other things, modernisation and efficiency put paid to the system. No doubt it didn't feature in some senior managers business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    I remember as a young cop, many years ago, the "empty premises" book.

At muster at the start of the shift, the Sgt would allocate the details of the property to whichever officers beat covered where the house was located.

You were expected to check the house during your shift and householders were encouraged to complete the relevant card with keyholders details ect and hand it in to their local police station before going on holiday.

That was in the East end of Glasgow what is now what they call a "socially deprived area" and not a little village.

Lots of people use the system and it provided a little bit of reassurance and less worry about their house being empty when they were away.

Like many other things, modernisation and efficiency put paid to the system. No doubt it didn't feature in some senior managers business plan.
    That's pretty much what I expected to happen, like it used to. The lass said they were too busy (not enough beat polis reading between the lines) and that's fair enough. You can only be in one place at one time. Was just a bit surprised by the lack of interest.

Cheers

Swamps and alligators come to mind plus lots more rules n regs.

McKenzie... do you email firearms in Fettes or local station or Fettes ?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Firearms at Fettes
    Last edited by McKenzie; 27-07-2014 at 11:18.

Why do you tell the police you are going on holiday its none of their business whether you have firearms or not, they have approved your security so so why tell them what they dont need to know.
    Once again a case of overzealous FAC holders thinking they are going above and beyond the call of duty and doing the police a favour when all they are really doing is starting the slippery slope to this kind of notification becoming mandatory!!

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Why do you tell the police you are going on holiday its none of their business whether you have firearms or not, they have approved your security so so why tell them what they dont need to know.
    Once again a case of overzealous FAC holders thinking they are going above and beyond the call of duty and doing the police a favour when all they are really doing is starting the slippery slope to this kind of notification becoming mandatory!!

Ian.
    I let them know as I always have in the past although not having had a holiday more than a few days long in the last 9 or 10 years I haven't informed them of late. The advice from the Police, whether a FAC holder or not, was to let them know. It most likely helped them out if a report came in about that property. It also used to be a bit of extra peace of mind. My folks did it all the time while they still holidayed away and the only gun they had was to silicone round the kitchen.
    From the reply I received there is less chance these days of it becoming mandatory than in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Why do you tell the police you are going on holiday its none of their business ...
    Back in the days of good old Dixon everybody used to notify the local station if they were away for a period of time - at least in my part of the world they did. Nothing to do with the Stasi-police oppressing the masses, rather more to do with a policing ethos that focused on reassuring and serving the public - something else that seems to have fallen out of the picture recently?

Far better to have a nosey neighbour keeping an eye out these days that letting some remote control room know who may just notify the local officer who makes his biannual pass through your village.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.