Thread: 2 bucks one day, two bucks one morning

2 bucks one day, two bucks one morning

Well that's me finished for another Roe Buck season, as I write this I have just returned from a 2 day stint and the harvest is still standing. Its been a hard one this year, but none the less another reasonably successful one with the last two lots of clients seeing some success.

10 days back saw me with a friend and client off the site, and two reasonable 6 point bucks grassed. One came to the call out of nowhere, whilst the other one we had stalked unsuccessfully in the morning, but grassed him in the evening, with a Fox as well to add to the days stalking. Funny thing is after we had shot the Fox, which the client wanted to shoot, the buck appeared with 2 does in attendance within 10 minutes out of the wood next to where we had shot the Fox. Just goes to show how a moderated shot helps to keep the ground settled at times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140711_007.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	45040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140711_016.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	45041

This weekend it was the turn of two other good clients/friends to re visit with me. The heat on Saturday was intense with the mercury touching 28' to 29' by mid afternoon.
    Very little movement early on Saturday morning, but undeterred I visited a further 40 acres of cut hay meadows which I have recently acquired and which is adjoins the main estate I manage.
    I had just spoken to Jan that it was quiet and that maybe the rut was tailing off when a doe cam crashing through the hedge to our right about 80yds away, with a cull buck in hot pursuit. In a few seconds the sticks were up and with the buttalo call in my pocket I managed to stop the buck in his tracks. He immediately turned and charged straight across the field towards us, and within 35yds of where we stood came to a grinding halt. The shot taken and he crumpled as the 270 bullet struck him...................well that was a turn up for the books!!

Jan then pointed out another Roe which had appeared in the opposite field and was feeding in some deep game cover. Trouble was we were above this deer and I knew full well that as soon as we got to the field it would be almost impossible to see it. As it was it turned out to be a doe, all be it a very large doe.

So as we had to walk that way I carried the buck around the two fields and dropped it off under the shade whilst we investigated the other area. Well on arrival and bathed in sweat, we found ........................................nothing!! Using the buttalo I though might produce another buck. My mind drifted back to last time I was there and the buck that appeared form no where.

It was not to be, and I decided to take a look over the horizon and into the corner of the field, which is surrounded with heavy set aside which is chest high in most places.

As we crested the slight rise we could see another cull buck making its way towards us, but due to the heavy cover we could only see the neck and head. After a brief discussion Jan decided to take the shot, but the buck had twigged our presence and had decided to bound away to our left. Grabbing the sticks we quickly made our way along the edge of the game cover, and with a final peep on the call he came to a stop and the shot was taken. The buck lurched to the shot and dived into heavy cover, disturbing yet another buck that was laying down!!

We waited about 5 minutes, and then with Todd on the long leather lead I made my way over the strike area and instantly he picked up the scent and took me straight onto the buck which was not quite dead, but Todd did his usual and waited for the appropriate moment and grabbed it by the neck. It was all over quickly and we had another cull buck in the bag.

Now a long walk back to the truck and pick the other buck up on the way. That evening I decided to sit Jan in a highseat, which turned out to have a group of 6 Fallow camped underneath it.............. what's the betting they wont do that on the 1st November?

It proved a reasonable evening as he took a further 2 Foxes.

So that's my Roe Buck season over for me, I achieved the same cull as the last 2 years, and I prefer to leave them now at peace to get on with the business of producing next years off spring.

Fallow prickets and Sorrels next week. Looking forward to seeing some new clients and a busy month and winter ahead, with groups from Finland lined up and a new agent in Australia wanting to send clients to the U.K. and a full diary in Scotland.

Lastly thank you to all the clients that booked with me for this years Roe Buck season. I look forward to seeing you again, and good health.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140726_006.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	45043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140726_011.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	645.3 KB 
ID:	45044
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Hi Malc,

You have done extremely well to achieve the same cull results as the two previous years. I'm really struggling with the tall cover and have had no response to the buttalo, I live in hope!

I will definitely give you a call one evening soon Malcolm.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb1956 View Post
    Hi Malc,

You have done extremely well to achieve the same cull results as the two previous years. I'm really struggling with the tall cover and have had no response to the buttalo, I live in hope!

I will definitely give you a call one evening soon Malcolm.

Best.
    No problem as you are just down the road from me, I look forward to talking with you. Long time since you grassed that Fallow with me and glad to hear you are getting into the stalking again.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

It was a great weekend Malc and great to catch up with you and Todd again.
    I don't think I've ever been so dehydrated after a stalk as I was that Saturday evening, it was hot alright!!
    See ya again soon, I hope
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    It was a great weekend Malc and great to catch up with you and Todd again.
    I don't think I've ever been so dehydrated after a stalk as I was that Saturday evening, it was hot alright!!
    See ya again soon, I hope
    It was a real scorcher weather wise Trevor, unbelievable heat for that early in the morning and you looked like sponge bob square pants on our return to the bothy.............in fact we all did!

We will see each other again soon mate, the Mouflon hunt is next, although I somewhat doubt it will be as warm there as it was in West Sussex. I enjoyed hunting with both you and Jan's again and look forward to seeing both of you back again next year.

Will be in touch before we go to Prague, keep well.

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Well done all...

Dehydration could be an issue after a night in Prague lol..

Nice to see your having a good workout before we head off after some Mouflon

Catch up soon guys
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

nice story malc . well done for finishing early on the bucks and thinking of the future animals .nice to see its not all about the bucks (the green bucks that is )

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    nice story malc . well done for finishing early on the bucks and thinking of the future animals .nice to see its not all about the bucks (the green bucks that is )
    Thanks Toad, my regards to Gelert when you see him next.

Hope to see you boys down south again sometime, or up on the CWD and Munties with me later in the winter.

Take care

Malc

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Cheers Malc, looking forward to the Mouflon trip and meeting up with the gang.
    There's no feckin way I'm gonna be trying to keep up with PS1 in Prague though...........
    I'll leave that sort of eejitry to young scrumbag
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work