Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharping.

Knife sharping.

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a good field Knife sharping system.
    Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Jeff.

If you really needed too ...
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/diamond-k...llSBoCG37w_wcB
    something like that to give it a touch up. Most knives would be fine until you make it back to the larder.

Can't beat the lansky imo! Have used on for five years now...enough for me to prove that it is idiot proof! Puts a really good edge on a knife and doesn't break the bank!

What sharpening are you looking for (field, larder, other) and what will you be sharpening ?

Once an edge is set up properly on a stone a strop can keep it running for months on end.

If you wait until you need to go back to stones you've gone way past the point where it could have been easily maintained with a strop.

In general I find a 600 or 800 grit stone then a strop puts a great meat slicing edge on a knife.

Some people spend ages going through various grades of Japanese water stones but I find a highly polished edge a bloody nuisance compared to something with a little more 'bite'.

You need to identify whether you want to field sharpen or back at base, and it would help to know whether you are using softer steel butchers knives or something much harder in a more abrasion resistant steel.

Lansky and Spyderco both do some excellent sharpening systems, but if you bother to spend the time to learn how to sharpen by hand you need very little kit because, once you know how, you can process knives with very little gear.

I sometimes have a few strokes on a 12 inch dick

eBay item number:

bladetech.... practical edge from the simplest of tools but use a smooth steel after and you get bald arms....

Lots of choice in the market - reckon I have tried most options however I've been using a DMT Deluxe Aligner Kit for 25yrs now - 3 grades of Diamond stone - perfect guided angle, I reckon the best piece of kit I ever bought at a game fair after seeing the demonstrations
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

Blade Tech Bladetech Tungsten Knife Sharpener Scissors Shears Kitchen Knives | eBay

seriously.... just do it. If you want to get 'that' edge learn to use a steel after the bladetech

Fallkniven DC4 works for me and you can carry it in the field puts a really good edge on all my knives..

I'd have to say Lansky Fold a vee. The Bladetech is too agressive and takes a lot of material away. If you know how to use them DC4 is awesome but Lanksy is great to get going.