Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berger vld bullets

Berger vld bullets

Hi

can anyone advise, if you have a COAL you already use, and are getting good accuracy with a standard spritzer bullet do you find you have to adjust this when using berger vlds?? I see berger recommends seating closer

just curious before I make a start

thanks

You be best saying what cartridge you are loading

Don't think the cartridge really makes a difference

Berger's advice for reloading VLDs is posted on their website Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD bullets in Your Rifle | Berger BulletsBerger Bullets

Reading past the Berger woffle, it is clear that they don't have a worthwhile recommendation other than for reloaders to do their own trials on their own rifles - there is absolutely nothing new in that and IMHO is the way to go. (The same as for "best " powder loads, "best" primers, "best" neck tension etc etc).

Ian

The cartridge and bullet weight make a very large difference, if you want a numerical answer in thousandths of an inch.

You cannot use COAL with Berger VLD bullets for several reasons.
    They are not consistent length, batch to batch.

You cannot use a seating die setting which works for other bullets, like Sierra GK or MK, because they are secant ogive and the VLD is not.

The Hornady Comparator will give some indication off the curvature, but it is made for secant ogive bullets, which VLDs are not.
    Sinclair makes a steel comparator for the VLD, which closely simulates the throat and rifling.

Redding makes a special seating die for the VLD. So does Sinclair and Wilson.

I don't shoot Berger bullets, because I have all the accuracy and performance I need out of the other bullets I have. That said, and all I stated above, the place I would start with them is with a seating die that worked for a very accurate load in a very accurate rifle, using the same powder load and primer, seat them with that same die, and see what COAL that gave, and if it will fit into the magazine. Then I would shoot them and see if they were as accurate as the other bullet. I would push one into the rifling in an empty case, and compare that COAL with the loaded one, to tell me whether to adjust the fired load out further or seat it back, for my next batch.
    Last edited by Southern; 28-07-2014 at 15:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    The cartridge and bullet weight make a very large difference, if you want a numerical answer in thousandths of an inch.
    You can have two identical barrels from the same manufacturer and chambered with the same reamer and there is no guarantee that they will shoot the same bullet at their best with the same charge and seating depth...

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    You can have two identical barrels from the same manufacturer and chambered with the same reamer and there is no guarantee that they will shoot the same bullet at their best with the same charge and seating depth...
    Absolutely. And you can't begin to give a COAL without specifying a cartridge and bullet. And the throat length and diameter vary, rifle to rifle.
    Because of the profile of the VLD, if you seat a heavier bullet to normal maximum COAL of 2.80 inches for a .308 Winchester, you will still be far off the lands in most rifles, maybe 0.050".

Thanks for all the replies guys!! Sounds like more to it than meets the eye with the Bergers was thinking of the 87g vld in 243

The Berger hybrids are easier to load for as they are tolerant of long jumps.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

There are a lot of .308s and .30-06s out there shooting VLDs with a 50/1000 jump, with splendid accuracy. Berger seems to recommend a 10/1000 jump or putting some bullets into the lands, but that is not realistic for magazines and feeding. But, as I have said before, I think bullet weight and powder, and seating the bullet deep enough to align it properly, are far more important than COAL or jump to the lands.