Thread: Marlin X7

Marlin X7

Anybody got one? How do you like it? Im looking for a budget rifle which is above Savage Axis rifles.. Reason is im using most of the money on a quality scope. So i guess my choices are

Marlin X7
    Ruger American
    Mossberg 4x4

By the looks I like the Marlin X7 the most. But maybe some of you got any inputs.

Marlin XL7 and XS7 are far better.
    See this thread
    marlin xs7 .308 calibre

Oh thanks!
    Last edited by Renico; 27-07-2014 at 19:35.

Have you looked at a decent second hand rifle within your budget range? I would certainly consider a second hand rifle before a Mossberg as I have been very unimpressed by the few new Mossberg rifles that I have seen.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Renico View Post
    Anybody got one? How do you like it? Im looking for a budget rifle which is above Savage Axis rifles.. Reason is im using most of the money on a quality scope. So i guess my choices are

Marlin X7
    Ruger American
    Mossberg 4x4

By the looks I like the Marlin X7 the most. But maybe some of you got any inputs.
    I've got an XL7 Synthetic stock in .270 and I'm actually pretty impressed with it. I bought it from Holts Auctioneers as a new rifle at a pretty bargain price. Sure you can tell its a cheap rifle in many areas but at Short Siberia, Bisley, on Saturday with a cheap Leupold 6x42 scope in some even cheaper, quick release mounts from ebay and a borrowed bipod, it was holding sub MOA groups regularly. This despite putting quite a lot of rounds down it in short succession in 4/8 round stints (between my friend and I we fired over 30 rounds through it plus about 20 rounds through my .308 target rifle, 20 through his 375 H&H (in 6 round groups) and 40+ through a 1953 BSA 22LR in just over 2 hours! Yes the .270 and 375 barrels got rather warm!). Prior to this I'd only shot around 10 rounds through it to begin the breaking in process.

I'm not sure I'd want to pay full retail price in the UK (Circa 500) for it because I think for a relatively small increase in investment of ~200 you can have a much better rifle (Tikka, CZ, Browning X-bolt / Eurobolt to name a few). However given you can get a new one for less than the equivalent for a well used, Parker Hale I think its a good rifle for the money.

Minor gripes I have are the lack of floorplate / magazine so you have to cycle the bolt to unload it and load the internal magazine through the breach and, being very picky, the bolt motion isn't the smoothest.

Sorry but I can't compare it to the Savage or the Mossberg.

This is a good "under the hood" review of the XL7, not your usual gun magazine fluff.
    Lots of photos as he strips the rifle down.
    I had no idea they were so expensive in the UK! Here, a blued one retails for $270 and stainless $310 USD.

Real Guns - Hmm... Remember the .270 Winchester? Marlin's XL7 Bolt Action

I have had experience with two if the Marlin X7's in 270. They were both tack drivers. I'd recommend them without reservation. As to the Mossberg: Pass. Not what you want. If for some reason you don't cotton the Marlin, don't be afraid of the Axis. They shoot well. ~Muir

I was gonna buy one of these in .270 brand new then I got my Browning A-bolt second hand and I am not at all regretting it . the Marlin felt very very cheap inded with a very stiff bolt .

Funny you should mention that. I looked at an A-Bolt in 338 Winchester Magnum yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed. Seemed heavy and bulky -and this was a synthetic model. I found it to come to shoulder like a plank. I did see a Tikka "Boar rifle" in 338 WM I liked. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I looked at an A-Bolt in 338 Winchester Magnum yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed. Seemed heavy and bulky -and this was a synthetic model. I found it to come to shoulder like a plank. I did see a Tikka "Boar rifle" in 338 WM I liked. ~Muir
    Mine is wooden stock really really light without mod and bipod in fact it is lighter then my whole .22 anshutz package when it does not have its mod on