Thread: books

books

can any one rocomend any good books pleas im looking at

Deer Watch: A Field Guide by Richard Prior
    The Deer Stalking Handbook by Graham Downing
    Roe Deer: Management and Stalking by Richard Prior

are these any good???

Yes .......

Much depends on what you are reading for. Tips & tricks, deer behaviour, deer recognition, relevant legal info etc etc. There's any amount of info out there. Most of the obvious stuff tends to be repeated - what deer can be shot with which calibre, seasons, kit lists etc.

Obviously you need to be careful about some of the legal stuff if you buy second hand as the law has changed.

If you fancy a really in depth read about deer (as opposed to stalking) I can recommend Deer of the World - Their Evolution, Behaviour & Ecology by Dr Valerius Geist. Very few pictures, but if you want to know why deer are the way they are this book will tell you.

I recommend Rory Putman's 'The Natural History of Deer' if you can get hold of it. It's out of print but there are plenty of 2nd hand copies out there (try Amazon). Does what it says on the tin!

There's been a lot written about deer - as BC says is there anything specific you're looking for?

im new to stalking so just after sum reading material.

The three you've mentioned are all excellent - read Deer Watch for a complete overview of the British deer species, then take your pick of the other two. The Prior book is full of roe-specific info much of which applies to wider stalking anyway. Downing looks a bit wider and will be more up to date (providing it's the 2nd edition) on laws and more modern practices.
    Enjoy!
    Mole

What about the Muntjac book 'Managing an alien species' by Charles Smith-Jones? Not just about Muntjac, but a good beginners guide to stalking overall. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.

bok

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    What about the Muntjac book 'Managing an alien species' by Charles Smith-Jones? Not just about Muntjac, but a good beginners guide to stalking overall. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.
    Got to agree with you MS, I got it about a month ago its a great book,very intersesting & helpful
    Andy

The B.D.S part one theory book. Covers most stuff and will be up to date.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Russ

If you want more on the practical side of stalking, I'd also strongly suggest you subscribe to the Best Practice Guidance:

Scotland: http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/
    England & Wales: http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/h...stpractice.htm

You can download the UK ones and print them out or pay £15 and get hardcopies of the Scotland ones - I'd suggest the latter. Each guide is laminated and part of an A4 ring binder. You get free updates in the first year. It's the best £15 you'll spend and I wish they'd been around when I started stalking

willie_gunn