Thread: Here I am!

Here I am!

New to site. Located in Aberdeenshire. Been stalking for quite a few years, mostly Roe and a fair number of Red. Too many rifles (did I just say that!?). Most used is a custom RG Rifles .243AI. I've got a soft spot for 6mm calibre - sell one, try a new calibre, but it's not long before I'm back for another 6mm. Not that I tend to sell the new calibre .............Oh, and the wife says I've got too many scopes & gadgets as well. Luckily she doesn't know just how many!

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

hi and welcome to sd all the very best

Welcome, share your enthusiasm for 6mms. My favourite was a 6mm 06 custom doing about 4100fps firing a 68 grain berger. Burnt out two barrels on it before being persuaded to be sensible and swap it for a 6mm 284, about 150fps less firing same bullet but slightly more forgiving of barrel and saves all the fire forming of the 25 06 cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker48 View Post
    Welcome, share your enthusiasm for 6mms. My favourite was a 6mm 06 custom doing about 4100fps firing a 68 grain berger. Burnt out two barrels on it before being persuaded to be sensible and swap it for a 6mm 284, about 150fps less firing same bullet but slightly more forgiving of barrel and saves all the fire forming of the 25 06 cases.
    That's one I've not had the pleasure of yet. They can be a bit hot and burn barrels if going for the more exotic versions I suppose but they're so accurate, flat and recoil friendly I haven't tired of them over many years. Most accurate was a Sako Varmint 6mm PPC. That really could shoot - touching hole groups time after time and one hole groups regularly. I did sell that one after a lot of persuasion and an offer I should have refused! Regretted it ever since.

I've shot a fair number of deer using 6mm with a lot of confidence, although I do step up to a .270 for the Red rut and I'd do the same if after bigger forest stags.

Got my eye on a 6mm BR at the moment!