Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Humane Dispatch Pistol

  1. #1

    Humane Dispatch Pistol

    Having just completed a HAD course with Jelen (and very good it was too) a thought has occurred. How many people PRACTICE with their chosen HAD tool?

    As part of Jelen's practical section we were asked to bring in various shotguns and firearms that can be used for HAD and fired them at targets to demonstrate the effect on shot patterns and bullet placements at the very short ranges normally dealt with in these circumstances. Two people had revolvers - one resulted in two perfect shots in the brain and one in what would have been a mess - demonstrating the need to practice.

    The question is, how often do the owners of pistols for humane dispatch practice? Should I feel the need for one I would like to be able to practice in my local range on paper and know what's going to happen way before using it in anger as it were and that would need to be conditioned on the FAC.

    And before the whole "should people be allowed to have a pistol blah blah blah" starts that's not the question.

  2. #2
    That's the thing with pistol practice does jelen have authority to use sect 5 for practice, I ended up joining a club in IOM to use mine legally. would be good to clarify this as i was under the impression you could not use them for practice?, atb wayne

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  3. #3
    Hi I have .38 S&W Special for humane dispatch and was advised by the Firearms Officer that it would not be advisable to use too many rounds as this could possibly be viewed as "playing at John Wayne" when reflecting, his advice was about right, there is no need to practice putting a bullet into an animal from the BASC best practice 25cm distance, allowing a little more I think to avoid a good set of antlers thrashing about.

    Best thing to do IMO would be to fire a few rounds into a suitable object at the prescribed distance to see how the pistol reacts etc then put it away until you go stalking, never would I contemplate taking it to a range.

    Having reread the OP I have used the pistol and not had any problems with "making a mess" through lack of practice.

    ATB WB
    Last edited by willowbank; 28-07-2014 at 13:28.

  4. #4
    Reload and practice on your own land I would say.
    A doddle to reload for.
    Last edited by private fraser; 28-07-2014 at 13:24.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    That's the thing with pistol practice does jelen have authority to use sect 5 for practice, I ended up joining a club in IOM to use mine legally. would be good to clarify this as i was under the impression you could not use them for practice?, atb wayne

    Jelen didn't supply the pistols and only the people that were permissioned for them could even touch them. We looked just looked on as two shots were fired from close range by their respective owners.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    Having just completed a HAD course with Jelen (and very good it was too) a thought has occurred. How many people PRACTICE with their chosen HAD tool?

    As part of Jelen's practical section we were asked to bring in various shotguns and firearms that can be used for HAD and fired them at targets to demonstrate the effect on shot patterns and bullet placements at the very short ranges normally dealt with in these circumstances. Two people had revolvers - one resulted in two perfect shots in the brain and one in what would have been a mess - demonstrating the need to practice.

    The question is, how often do the owners of pistols for humane dispatch practice? Should I feel the need for one I would like to be able to practice in my local range on paper and know what's going to happen way before using it in anger as it were and that would need to be conditioned on the FAC.

    And before the whole "should people be allowed to have a pistol blah blah blah" starts that's not the question.
    Hi murrayb

    glad you enjoyed the course ...... despite the heat!

    I think the practical exercises demonstrated the need to practice with your chosen dispatch firearm (whatever it may be) at the distances and situations you are likely to encounter.

    With regards Humane Dispatch Pistols it is important to comply with the conditions on your certificate. If you were granted authority I would expect the condition to refer to the use as restricted to "in connection with" the humane dispatch of animals. I do not believe "in connection with" has been tested in the courts but my belief is that this would include testing, regulating and appropriate practice to develop the necessary muscle memory to handle the firearm safely and competently.

    Regular practice against deer shaped targets (particularly head shaped targets) at ranges from say 1 to 5 metres on a range should be perfectly acceptable ..... whereas shooting at 25 metres at bullseye targets might be tempting but potentially much tougher to justify.

    Again shooting 50 rounds a time on the range may be considered excessive whilst a dozen rounds alongside your stalking or fox rifle at a suitable target at a suitable range may be perfectly acceptable.

    I do not have any special insight into this and it is only my opinion and what I do and feel I could justify if I had to.

    However you must remember that if you allow anyone else to handle your Humane Dispatch Pistol you will both be committing an offence and your pistol would become a section 5 prohibited weapon in the hands of anyone not directly authorised to possess it ...... this makes providing practical training quite problematical.

    if there was sufficient demand I am sure Jelen would look to see what could be done legally to provide the training so it will be interesting to see how this thread develops.

    Tony

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    Jelen didn't supply the pistols and only the people that were permissioned for them could even touch them. We looked just looked on as two shots were fired from close range by their respective owners.
    I understand all that and wasn't trying to open a can of worms, I was told I could not practice so ended up just going over on the ferry no hassle and had some range time with training. I now use lead only bullets in 158 gr- 357 with 6 grains of unique a nice mild load and does the job really well and is accurate in my handgun. atb wayne

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  8. #8
    HunterMoore I agree with everything you say but just raise one small point.
    There is normally a minimum distance that different firearms can be used on ranges for safety reasons. In the case of pistols or pistol calibre rifles it will normally be 10 metres and in the case of larger rifles it will normally be stated as 25 or 30metres on any range safety certificates (I can't remember which). This normally causes some problems with clubs that in the past have allowed certain police forces to use their ranges and the police will practise shooting from the hip with the non gun hand pushing against the target as in a close protection scenario.

    I have heard of one course run for the benefit of the RSPCA some years ago where the candidates were shooting pistols into large logs that they had their one foot resting against. One candidate was in the process of shooting her foot when stopped by the rapid intervention of the guy conducting the exercise. He suggested that she spread her toes so that the bullet could pass between the toes but I understand that she declined and instead moved the whole foot to the side of the target.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    He suggested that she spread her toes so that the bullet could pass between the toes
    Must have been a summer course and she was wearing sandals or possibly flip-flops?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    HunterMoore I agree with everything you say but just raise one small point.
    There is normally a minimum distance that different firearms can be used on ranges for safety reasons. In the case of pistols or pistol calibre rifles it will normally be 10 metres and in the case of larger rifles it will normally be stated as 25 or 30metres on any range safety certificates (I can't remember which). This normally causes some problems with clubs that in the past have allowed certain police forces to use their ranges and the police will practise shooting from the hip with the non gun hand pushing against the target as in a close protection scenario.

    I have heard of one course run for the benefit of the RSPCA some years ago where the candidates were shooting pistols into large logs that they had their one foot resting against. One candidate was in the process of shooting her foot when stopped by the rapid intervention of the guy conducting the exercise. He suggested that she spread her toes so that the bullet could pass between the toes but I understand that she declined and instead moved the whole foot to the side of the target.
    Hi 8x57

    you can tell I don't use that many ranges to have thought of that! So, depending upon the set up of the range and its safety regulations you may be thwarted from safe practice ....

    The story is great .... and a tad scary .... well done the instructor!

    Tony

Similar Threads

  1. What calibre pistol is best for humane dispatch
    By MRlott in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 19-01-2013, 15:02
  2. New pistol available for humane dispatch
    By Bavarianbrit in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 14:55
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 23-01-2012, 21:14
  4. A 600 NE pistol - for humane dispatch?
    By Heym SR20 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 15:38
  5. Humane Dispatch Pistol
    By sako85 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 31-08-2008, 10:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •