Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x56 or 6x42

8x56 or 6x42

Currently have an S&B 8x56 on my stalking rifle (also used for fox). I'm thinking about trying to lighten up my set up and thought of changing to a S&B 6x42.

So will I miss the extra magnification of the 8x56 or will I be content with a 6x42?
    Really a man up or change question I suppose.

I have been considering something similar for some time. I have both a S&B 6x42 and a 8x56 and difference in magnification is really not that much when looking at normal stalking ranges. I probably wouldn't miss the change in magnification. Also the weight saving will be negligible.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Really depends on what your doing ? I have both the 8x on my 7 mm and the 6 x on .222 I love the 8 x for highseats work especially when after muntys at last light , to be honest I'd stick as you are , not that you'd be Dissapointed with a 6 x either

Why not compromise and get a 7x50 Meopta, I have one of those also and it's my favourite scope.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

It would have to be secondhand, but I think the nicest scope I have ever looked through was a Zeiss Diatal 7 x 50. It seemed to have everthing.

David.

I currently use a zeiss diatal 7x50 on my stalking rifle which replaced the s&b 6x42 which is now on my foxing rifle, now I really like the 7x50 but to be honest the 6x42 can hold it's own with any of them especially in a close confrontation environment and its no slouch at longer ranges either, in the end its all down to your personal preference but I would be happy with the 6x42 it's a truly great scope...

nothing an 8x56 will do the 6x42 won't. started with 4-12x56, moved to 6x42's, then to 3-9x36. now shoot 4x32 zeiss and never been happier. this is for anything from woodland through to hill.

'do' consider a nice old zeiss in 6x36, they are just lovely

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    nothing an 8x56 will do the 6x42 won't. started with 4-12x56, moved to 6x42's, then to 3-9x36. now shoot 4x32 zeiss and never been happier. this is for anything from woodland through to hill.

'do' consider a nice old zeiss in 6x36, they are just lovely
    Has your eyesight just been improving over time then? Actually, I've been thinking about this as I'm slowly putting my long-held ambition to buy a drilling into action and many of them come equipped with older 4x32 scopes, which isn't much magnification these days. But quite clearly they were just fine previously and there's no particular reason that stalkers would suddenly become incapable of shooting well with them. I suppose it makes a real difference at really low light.

I think the 6x42 is more versitile - more than enough magnification for 200+yard foxes, but also fine for the 30 yard shot in woodland -8x is a bit too much. My 243 now wears a 4-12x50 instead of a 6x42. I miss the latter, and new swaro 4-12 spends most of its time wound down to 4 or 5 power. Only time I use 12x is on the range to see where the bullet holes are.

my thinking has developed and by far the most versitile zoom for a hunting rifle is a 1.5-6x42.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Has your eyesight just been improving over time then? Actually, I've been thinking about this as I'm slowly putting my long-held ambition to buy a drilling into action and many of them come equipped with older 4x32 scopes, which isn't much magnification these days. But quite clearly they were just fine previously and there's no particular reason that stalkers would suddenly become incapable of shooting well with them. I suppose it makes a real difference at really low light.
    HA! when you say 4x32 isn't much mag these days, well here's a story for you. when my brother in law took his danish hunting license about 10 years ago, the practical shooting test resulted in him being laughed at by the other students, as he at the time had borrowed my zeiss 4x32 on his tikka 6.5x55. the other guys were having a laugh and ridiculed him, they all had telescopes and wound them up to x25 or so for the 100m test.

well, he was the only one who A. was done with his test in a couple of minutes, and B. was the only one who passed first time. seems all the other students couldn't keep the crosshairs still enough on such high mag. on the 4x32, it was just point and shoot at the black dot. job done.

I got him on a buck this summer, over 250yds, borrowed my old mauser .243 with the 4x32, zero'd 1" high at 100, held high shoulder and landed squarely in the H/L...job done.

what more can you ask for?

oh, did I say it's beautiful, aesthetic, light, great for woodland :-)