Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebarrel action choice.

Rebarrel action choice.

Gonna get a rifle rebarrelled, pending variation, to another cartridge in the .308 family. I'm going to use a cheap donor (circa 200) with a good action as the base.
    Obvious choices for a donor are parker-hale mausers or brno zkk601
    A slightly different choice is a .308 Lee Enfield (factory not conversion)
    Advantage of an Enfield is the 12 round double stack mag. Nice for the piggies. I love the action aswell.
    Any other suggestions I may be missing?

How do you squeeze an extra 2 rounds into an Enfield Jim? The magazine normally takes two 5 round stripper clips for a total of TEN not 12.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Gonna get a rifle rebarrelled, pending variation, to another cartridge in the .308 family. I'm going to use a cheap donor (circa 200) with a good action as the base.
    Obvious choices for a donor are parker-hale mausers or brno zkk601
    A slightly different choice is a .308 Lee Enfield (factory not conversion)
    Advantage of an Enfield is the 12 round double stack mag. Nice for the piggies. I love the action aswell.
    Any other suggestions I may be missing?
    If your thinking of one of the Indian Ishapores then I would seriously think again. Their quality control is variable to say the least. More simply put is that I would not trust their metal nor quality control. before this is accused of racism may I suggest you visit some of the Indian and Pakistani gun web site of which their are several. "Pakguns" is one such site and read their comments on the poor quality.

For the record I happen to love the Lee Enfield but recognise it's limits.

Now depending on cartridge length and whether you are going for a new stock of customising/altering the original then a BSA may well suit your needs. The P-H being on a Mauser 98 is possibly the easiest to source "Custom" bits for. There are also 10 round magazines for the Mauser 98 and indeed Parker-Hale did the 1300C Scout rifle that was available with a dropable 10 round magazine.

Important to know what the end result should look like and what you are trying to achieve.
    Would you be happy with the existing stock (shape), trigger, mounts or mount options on the donor rifle? For some actions parts are readily available for others not. Often the reason is that some actions are just not accepted by the market and therefore nobody is interested in supplying aftermarket bits. On the other hand for money anything can be had. One off stocks can be made and custom magazine conversions too for just about any action.
    Putting a new barrel on a rifle is fairly standard and might be the easiest task.
    edi

Remington 700 short action. Any custom part you want from mounts to triggers is available and often in varying colors.

SS

I would use one of the parker hale t4 or enfield envoy ones using a Indian mag. They are available in 12 rounds but rare. Different shape mag. Most are 10 though and that'd be fine also.
    Yeah the metallurgy of the Indian guns can be questionable.

Any of the mauser stuff is preferred for all the points mentioned above. I just like cock on closing and the big mag but since the 98 has extended mags available (which I wasn't aware of) that pretty much seals the deal.

Controlled round feed is pretty much mandatory so most of the bsa or parker hale stuff sorts that aswell. Some later stuff was push feed and not true mausers.

I've got a few mauser 98 actions if you are in need.

one is an argentine that needs a lot of polishing, but can be restored nicely

one is a good Midland 2100 series that, yes brithunter, accepts a mauser 98 bolt, not the springfield (although the majority of course, were cast in spain around the springfield bolts)

also have a german K98 that still needs the bolt handle turned down

also have a PH target action (VERY nice) without bottom metal, but good news! you can now get replacement bottom metal designed to take the AICS 5 and 10 round mags..which is the dogs danglies.

also have a german M98, but it's over your budget.

and the cherry on the cake is an offshore stash of FN 98 Commercials getting shipped over this autumn..again, over your budget, but wanted to make you drewl ;-) LOL

Spiders!! I'm being offered Mausers port and starboard here!!

Still deciding on me gunsmith yet, me variation and most importantly me bonus in Nov.
    Costs are racking up but hey, it'll travel world with me so more than worth it I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Any of the mauser stuff is preferred for all the points mentioned above. I just like cock on closing and the big mag but since the 98 has extended mags available (which I wasn't aware of) that pretty much seals the deal.

Controlled round feed is pretty much mandatory so most of the bsa or parker hale stuff sorts that aswell. Some later stuff was push feed and not true mausers.
    Several companies over detachable magazines for the Remington and I am pretty sure 10 rds would meet any hunting situation you might get into.

Why controlled round feeding? Proper training eliminates short stroking. Might have been an issue with conscriptesd soldiers or perhaps in a big game rifle used by a non-professional but if we are talking about a 308 hunting rifle is is not really an issue is it.

SS

Its not an issue I would agree. Except I'm a firm believer in preparation. Belt and braces and all that.

The problem with a 700 action is they aren't cheap this side of the pond mate, for the very reasons you've stated. Kicking around 400 quid so about 700 dollars.