Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Antler & Wrought Iron Ideas?

Deer Antler & Wrought Iron Ideas?

As per my earlier recent threads and blog on here, I have recently started a new venture producing products principally from a combination of Antler and Wrought Iron, starting initially with lighting products. I would however be most grateful for any suggestions / ideas as to any other products that I may wish to consider adding to my limited range. Business is a little slow to start off with, but it's picking up of late. However before I consider the additional costs of taking a stall at Game Fairs, advertising in shooting and sporting magazines and such like, I would really like to have a slightly broader range of products. Hopefully to offer a wider appeal.

Any suggestions, anything seen on your travels would be greatly appreciated. To thank anyone for their support and for taking the time and trouble, should any suggestion be taken up in due course and acquire interest I would look to reward that input with a free gift of the same in due course.

Guess Iím Just looking to think a little more ďoutside the boxĒ. I donít suppose any idea necessarily needs to be for show only, nor directly related to hunting/stalking, anything considered with an open mind.

Apologies in advance if this is a big ask. Iím passionate for this new venture to succeed in due course, therefore I am open to any ideas or suggestions for products that may be of interest but likewise commercially viable even if only on a small scale. Link is in my signature if you need to take a look at the type of products I'm currently supplying

Thank you in advance

Howzabout:
    - hat rack
    - coat rack
    - Umbrella stand
    - dog lead hook (I can't be the only one fed up with 'em spilling out of baskets by the door....)

I'll get me thinking cap on for more. Good luck with the venture!!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

....I've just asked Mrs Merlin what she thinks; she's far more creative & artistic than I (she thinks I'm an oik!! ), and her comments were (a) antler-inspired homeware is quite 'in' and 'on trend' at the moment, and (b) less seems to be more - not too fussy or twee was the gist of it.

She has just shouted down the stairs "Door handles?"

Hope this helps.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Regular Poster
    Bed side table lamps, book ends, wall sconce (sp?) type light fittings, cutlery sets and those end things for curtain rails. There must be loads of things, but these are just the type of stuff I have been looking out for in the last 6 months or so for the new house...
    Good luck!

Also +1 on door handles

Thanks very much guys( and Mrs Merlin of course) all are highly credible and much appreciated. Some of these are i belive currently being well serviced by talented craftsmen whom predominently centre there products around the Antler art. The wrought iron is our strongest point(pardon the pun) further lighting such as bedside lamps are on my radar, made up out of wrought iron perhaps with an antler twist. Each piece undertaken requires some intial development work,all are really a case of an informed "gamble". A gamble that out the other end You can produce something of good quality at the right price, but more importantly there is enough demand out there for. Early days yet, but i'm going to keep " plugging" away and hopefully can come up with the right balance of products in due course. Once again thanks for the input

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Things I've seen on my travels that have combined wrought iron and antler:

Candle sticks / Dining table centrepiece
    Handles for fire screens/guards
    Trivet handles
    Tray handles
    Poker handles
    Hat racks
    Wall lights
    Front door lights
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Things I've seen on my travels that have combined wrought iron and antler:

Candle sticks / Dining table centrepiece
    Handles for fire screens/guards
    Trivet handles
    Tray handles
    Poker handles
    Hat racks
    Wall lights
    Front door lights
    +1 for the Dining table centrepiece for sure Willie !

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhillstairs View Post
    +1 for the Dining table centrepiece for sure Willie !
    Here's something that perhaps shows it better:

Antler Candle Holder - Decorative Metal T-Light Holders

Replace the aluminium antler with a real one and the aluminium candle bowls with wrought iron (with a small spike in the middle to which to secure the candle).

In Sweden they had a moose antler with iron supports for 4 or 5 small night lights. The antler just rested on the table, but it was simple, effective and classy. Replace the moose antler with palmated fallow and you'd be there.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Here's something that perhaps shows it better:

Antler Candle Holder - Decorative Metal T-Light Holders

Replace the aluminium antler with a real one and the aluminium candle bowls with wrought iron (with a small spike in the middle to which to secure the candle).

In Sweden they had a moose antler with iron supports for 4 or 5 small night lights. The antler just rested on the table, but it was simple, effective and classy. Replace the moose antler with palmated fallow and you'd be there.
    Thanks again Willie, may do a little experimenting with Red antler, as of yet i've not been able to secure any reasonable qty of Fallow, well not least at a reasonable price

Already been mentioned but I agree a fireside companion set in the traditional wrought iron style but with antler handles on the tools would look great.

Knockers also popped into my mind...

... the door kind! With a section of antler base and the coronet forming the knocker.