Thread: Dual Purpose Dog

Dual Purpose Dog

Hi All, I am just getting into stalking, I am mainly a wildfowler that does a bit of rough shooting to keep my eye in. I am picking up a ess pup next week, I have a 4yr old lab that I use for fowling. My question is, is it possible to train the spaniel to flush game etc and track deer or would it have to be one or the other. Also would my lab be to old to get deer tracking seeing as he is only used for wildfowling.
    Thank you for reading.

Hi I see no probs with using your spaniel for everything I have 2 cockers I pigeon shoot decoy as well as roost, beat, rough shoot , plus deer stalk with both of them and I can't see why your lab would have any probs both of my cockers know the difference between shotgun and rifle shooting they work in front when I've got my shotgun but walk beside me when I've got my rifle hope that helps bazil ps this from yesterday. Attachment 45134
    Last edited by bazil; 29-07-2014 at 16:38.

You could teach pretty much ANY breed to do what you want.

Look at sniffer and mountain rescue dogs, half of them are bought from the dog pound.

Granted, some are instinctively better than others, its all about what you put in to them.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Cheers for the replies.

Have you looked at Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, without doubt the best goose and duck dogs out there. I have three and cant fault them as tireless all rounders. Only thing they don't do is the dishes!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Have you looked at Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, without doubt the best goose and duck dogs out there. I have three and cant fault them as tireless all rounders. Only thing they don't do is the dishes!
    Never had one fella, always used labs for my fowling, I know a couple of people who have them and your right they are excellent fowling dogs, I just wish they would stop eyeing up my lab the way they do. lol