Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disaster. Had my 22 barrel chopped

Disaster. Had my 22 barrel chopped

Guys. I had my CZ 452 barrel chopped to 16inches. Re screw cut and the mod fitted. It was a nail driver before but it was far too cumbersome inside the landy.
    Tonight was the first chance i had to go out and sight it in. My god it was awful , no 3 rounds landed on target ( see picture) ,
    what do you think the problem is ? Should i try another brand of ammo ? What are my options , complain to the gunsmith ?

Presume the scope, mounts and stock etc has all been taken off in order to do the work? For it to be that bad I'd check that stock, scope, mounts etc are all correct first. Any sign of bullet clipping moderator baffles/thread concentric issues? Tried without mod on?
    Last edited by csl; 29-07-2014 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Presume the scope, mounts and stock etc has all been taken off in order to do the work? For it to be that bad I'd check that stock, scope, mounts etc are all correct first. Any sign of bullet clipping moderator baffles/thread concentric issues? Tried without mod on?
    yup up went through all the usualls. Made no difference

My guess is that either there is a burr on the muzzle / crown or the thread for the mod is not right - i.e. out of line/centre & you may be clipping the mod baffles with the bullets. --- Either way I'd get it checked by a different riflesmith then go back to where it was done & complain very loud!
    It is extremely unlikely that the problem is the ammo (assuming you're shooting decent quality stuff).

Ian

Was talking to a RFD once who told me they would no longer send CZs off for shortening after the problem. Something to do with uneven barrel thickness and CZ not recommending shortening.

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I would have traded it in against a shorter one.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Was talking to a RFD once who told me they would no longer send CZs off for shortening after the problem. Something to do with uneven barrel thickness and CZ not recommending shortening.

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I would have traded it in against a shorter one.

It might come to that

+1 all of the above also no swarf trapped etc has it been cleaned exsesivly might need a good few shots back through it bore wise,check mod fitting snug etc barrel channel still free,
    DONT START

What does it shoot like without the moderator?

My first thoughts would be that the barrel threading is misaligned or that the crown is damaged/burred.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

It's just as bad without the mod. Just louder lol

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

I have also heard this, but after I got mine chopped luckily it kept its accuracy.