Disaster. Had my 22 barrel chopped

Scots_stalker

Guys. I had my CZ 452 barrel chopped to 16inches. Re screw cut and the mod fitted. It was a nail driver before but it was far too cumbersome inside the landy.
Tonight was the first chance i had to go out and sight it in. My god it was awful , no 3 rounds landed on target ( see picture) ,
what do you think the problem is ? Should i try another brand of ammo ? What are my options , complain to the gunsmith ?

Presume the scope, mounts and stock etc has all been taken off in order to do the work? For it to be that bad I'd check that stock, scope, mounts etc are all correct first. Any sign of bullet clipping moderator baffles/thread concentric issues? Tried without mod on?

Last edited:
Presume the scope, mounts and stock etc has all been taken off in order to do the work? For it to be that bad I'd check that stock, scope, mounts etc are all correct first. Any sign of bullet clipping moderator baffles/thread concentric issues? Tried without mod on?

yup up went through all the usualls. Made no difference

My guess is that either there is a burr on the muzzle / crown or the thread for the mod is not right - i.e. out of line/centre & you may be clipping the mod baffles with the bullets. --- Either way I'd get it checked by a different riflesmith then go back to where it was done & complain very loud!
It is extremely unlikely that the problem is the ammo (assuming you're shooting decent quality stuff).

Ian

Was talking to a RFD once who told me they would no longer send CZs off for shortening after the problem. Something to do with uneven barrel thickness and CZ not recommending shortening.

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I would have traded it in against a shorter one.

Was talking to a RFD once who told me they would no longer send CZs off for shortening after the problem. Something to do with uneven barrel thickness and CZ not recommending shortening.

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but I would have traded it in against a shorter one.

It might come to that

+1 all of the above also no swarf trapped etc has it been cleaned exsesivly might need a good few shots back through it bore wise,check mod fitting snug etc barrel channel still free,

What does it shoot like without the moderator?

My first thoughts would be that the barrel threading is misaligned or that the crown is damaged/burred.

I have also heard this, but after I got mine chopped luckily it kept its accuracy.

If the job is done properly, and not just chucked in the lathe (no pun intended) then it should make no difference how far out the bore is to the outer of the barrel. I'd check the crown carefully as it's as bad when no mod fitted.

Same here had mine chopped and screwed cut for the same reason more user friendly from the vehicle, groups like a dream.

I suggest taking it back and asking them to check trueness and threads, sometimes this can be rectified by running the dies down again dependant how bad it was threaded in the first place.

Good luck

stea33

I suppose the barrel could have had a bulge around where the muzzle is now & it's now a blunderbuss.
A mate of mine had a very old 22lr with a bulge half way up the barrel (you could easily feel it when cleaning the bore) but it still shot tight groups -- He never cut it short though.

Ian

Had my CZ chopped and it was pants, had it chopped again (properly) and it is fine. Crown was obviously poor first time round, so changed gun plumber for second job (a while later).

hh

I will give them a bell tomorrow. See what they have to say. BTW. The target was only at 50 yards. I used to be able to hit the thumbtacks holding the targets up at 100yrds with it

Assuming the cut, crown and rethread have been done correctly have you considered that it may be a choked barrel (or was prior to the cut….)

Assuming the cut, crown and rethread have been done correctly have you considered that it may be a choked barrel (or was prior to the cut….)

I've heard this a few times but I'm not sure about it. So many CZ's are chopped and are fine but also the barrel would be a normal .22 bore in every way until the muzzle which would be choked.
So chopping the 'choke' off would just leave you with a normal barrel surely?
I will happily admit to being wrong but surely the barrel aft of the choke couldn't be different dimensions as that's what is needed for proper rifling engagement and gas sealing.
My money is on a crap crown since the bullets aren't clipping the moddy.

i have to say that i sorted one like this about 2 years back (no names no pack drills)

i used a small ball bearing and some grinding past, a length of old skirting board as the base to run the ball bearing along with the paste added every now and again,

worked a treat and it was a old 452 2e hoggs back stock CZ, cut from 2? all the way down to 13".

nbow shoots like he wanted it to in the first place.

bob.

Back