Thread: Have EAW (apel) been beaten?

Have EAW (apel) been beaten?

Apel scope mounts twenty years ago were the best thing since sliced bread but how can the justify 350 for mounts when others make as good under a hundred. Apels will scratch the scope body unless you tape it and the stories of them coming slack would put you off.
    I have Apel fixed on one Sauer and Warne fixed on my other and i think the Warne is better for a quarter of the cost.
    Cheers!!

Never used Apel, so can't comment on how they function. I agree about the price of things though. Used Warne ones on a rifle I had, found you could over tighten the warne ones very easily.

Al

Dunno the only Apels I bought new cost me 70. They were 30mm Roll Offs and had been sitting on the shelf in the shop for a looooooooooooooooooooong time. this was due to the box label saying they were to fit the BSA CF2. Of course anyone with a bit of knowledge knows that the BSA CF2 was manufactured to have the same receiver profile as the Remington 700 so as to open up the US market.

At the time I didn't have any 30mm scopes so acquired a set of 1" rings and fitted them. Several years later acquired a rifle with a first pattern Tasco Titan scope fitted to asked about and Ron Wharton sorted me out a used pair of Apel Roll Off bases for the M98 receiver on the Parker-hales for a few quid and I swapped the mounts to Apel Roll Off ones.

Despite not advertising them to do so I found that the Apel Roll Off mounts DO return to zero. To be honest have never noticed them scratching the scope tubes. Suppose either I was lucky or just very careful .

Mounts it seems are just another area where we in the UK get ripped on prices.

Just got some on the old sako like the rifle they are mint so hoping they are as good as I thought they were ! mates got warne on his sauer and they appear very good and are returning zero .

I also wonder if they've priced themselves out of the market.

Apart from the US manufacturers, they also now have competition from Recknagel/ERA whose products look equally professional.

I've often fitted and refitted the Apel pivot mounts and they are very Germanic. If you did follow the instructions to the letter then you'd be burnishing and honing for hours. I'm sure they're designed to be fitted once and forever by a (Continental) gunsmith with a fanatical pursuit of perfection. The lower rings and the matching scope areas will be free of blue or anodizing, then bonded in place. The bases also are supposed to be bonded, with the front base having a quarter free to move to adjust the pivot tension.

Is it all worthwhile? Well, I certainly wouldn't spend 300+ on a new set. If I can get Sako Optilocks to suit then I'd use them at half the price and a quarter of the hassle.
    Last edited by M275; 30-07-2014 at 22:12.

Buying fixed Apel mounts doesn't make any sense IMHO, but their QD mounts are very good, return to zero every time. Quite popular on the continent when you can take off the scope on the driven hunt and use iron sights and put the scope back on - no zero change. I like them and used them, but probably would not buy new. 350 is what you pay for Blaser or Mauser mounts these days too...

I've a set of EAW mounts on my CZ550 at the recommendation of a friend. I thought they were a bit steep but since I had already coughed up a few pounds on the scope I decided to go ahead and burn the card a bit further. On the next rifle I decided to go with roll on mounts and unsure of the measurements sent an email to APEL in Germany. I got a response in English within a day. I was given the suggested measurements and referred to the rep for Ireland who is based in the UK. Again a hassle free communication. However the initial information proved incorrect and the forward mount didn't fit. An email sorted it out and a replacement arrived within the week. They may be expensive but you get mounts that keep zero on large calibre rifles and great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Buying fixed Apel mounts doesn't make any sense IMHO, but their QD mounts are very good, return to zero every time. Quite popular on the continent when you can take off the scope on the driven hunt and use iron sights and put the scope back on - no zero change. I like them and used them, but probably would not buy new. 350 is what you pay for Blaser or Mauser mounts these days too...
    I picked the first set of Roll Off Apel mounts cheap and found that they also return to zero. Have them on my BSA CF2 in 7x57 and removed the scope which I carried in my back pack for the flights to St Louis. On checking zero next day we found no adjustments required. Zero was the same as set on Bisleys ranges. A coin can be used to undo and then re-tighten the clamp screws not quite as quick as the swing offs but it's not exactly slow either.

The Leupold QR mounts work well, and the rings are light, but some folks have over tightened them and broken the little levers.

The Leupold QRW for the slot base fits their bases, Warne and Weaver. It is a heavy ring, and like the Warne, it has a wide footprint on the mount, to counteract the recoil trying to tilt the rings. I used a set of 30mm ones on my .375 H&H Winchester, and borrowed a friend's Aimpoint Comp red dot sight, which sits in a single ring, to try on the front base - worked like a champ! Both the scope and rings returned to zero.

I share a scope in Warne QD rings between two Remington Model 700s, and share another scope between two Steyr Modlel Ms. Both scopes go back to zero. All I have to do is turn the knobs a few clicks for the secondary rifle, which I have written down, and it is on center.

On one of my Ruger M77s, I use the New England Custom Gun aperture sight, which clamps to the integrate scope mount, and a set of Warne QD rings for a carried in my hunting coat... a nice set up.

Talley rings and bases work well. They have no slot. The ring sits in a saddle, braced front and rear by two steel ears. They make a QD aperture sight which goes on the rear base.