cleaning a t8 moderator help

gelert

:oops:
afetr a sever weather stalking weekend in scotland,rain snow and every thing in-between, i got home to clean the rifle and silly me cleaned the inside of the moderator.
i now have a small patch stuch somewhere inside the moderator which i am trying desperetly to retrieve.it's somewhere between the baffles.
am i down a certain river without a paddle and just keep on trying.
its not blocking the muzzle in anyway but i wont shoot it until i can get the bugger out.any ideas.

I don't know the design of the T8 baffles, and this might be a silly answer, but have you tried a vacuum cleaner, covering one end of the moderator if necessary?

willie_gunn

hi willie gun,
i did tink of using an industrial vacum that i can get my hands on, which might be better at cleaning the whole thing anyway.

Have you access to a hi capacity air tank. Pressure blow it. There will be no problem pressure wise and it will take out anything that is loose. If the mod is old and rusty inside could damage the baffles but if soo replacement should be on the cards anyway,
Jim

gelert

An industrial cleaner is a good idea, but I was thinking more of the nozzle attachment on a VAX, Dyson or similar. You could even do some jerry-rigging and create a nozzle that would match the moderator opening (using sufficient gaffer tape ;) ). I'd hope that, with sufficient suction, it would shift the patch. I'm sure there's someone else on the site who has more direct experience with the T8 and can advise.

Good luck!

willie_gunn

Hi gelert do you have access to lewis potters book deer stalking and management,on page 104 it shows which I believe to be a cut t8 and it will show you what the inside looks like best of luck!!!!! ;)

t8

I don't think a paper clip would be long enough but the idea is sound.
I'd use a wire clothes hanger straightened with a slight bend at one end just enough to clear/enter the mod. Twist it around where you expect the patch to be and try to catch/hook it into the central passage then use the other end (with no bend) of the rod to gently push it out of the mod.
Gently does it as the actress said to the Bishop.
It's amazing how many problem jobs a wire coathanger can be used for
;)

Good luck,let us know how it goes.

fraser

Put some wd 40 into it, I doubt you will loosen it off with it. But you could add a lit match :evil:

It will hopefully get rid of any evidence.

:lol:
success,after trying with the hover i thought id try an old plastic brush i use on my shotgun similar to the bronze chamber but much softer, that loosend it to the bottom job done.
this has left me with two questions
1 shoud i clean my mod with just a spray of wd40
2 why the hell do t8 make such an tool that you can't open to clean every once in a while.

gelert said:
:lol:
success,after trying with the hover i thought id try an old plastic brush i use on my shotgun similar to the bronze chamber but much softer, that loosend it to the bottom job done.
this has left me with two questions
1 shoud i clean my mod with just a spray of wd40
2 why the hell do t8 make such an tool that you can't open to clean every once in a while.
because it's old tech, now left behind, once they were the best, because they were there first (sort of), now the idea has been moved along a bit.

use a blow lamp the heat will burn it up /it will not blow up on firing let it cool naturaly dont forget to remove the deralin insert from the rear if you have one

had my T8 for a long while now....WD40.....lot of...sprayed in both ends and then give mod a good shake. Let the oil drain out one end for a short while....and then...the fun bit....hold mod upside down, exit hole facing the floor and face clear from opposite end......use a lighter on tall flame and insert flame into exit hole. This will burn off most of the excess oil.....although there will be the good smoke show after first couple of shots.
As for cleaning with a tool or brush.........use a .410 phosphor bronze barrel cleaning brush and rod.....it will clean out the threads inside the mod and after a few uses will laso fit through baffle stack. BUT.......never try and force it through!

Hope this helps!

ATB steve

Back