Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police to be referred to CPS for killing a deer

Police to be referred to CPS for killing a deer

Not sure I'd know where to wack a deer to end its days quickly and humanely?!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Not exactly "Best Practice" is it, how would a recreational stalker be viewed dispatching a wounded deer in a similar fashion?

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Not sure I'd know where to wack a deer to end its days quickly and humanely?!
    On the noggin I reckon, lol.

It'd make an interesting addition to the shooting test in the DSC1.

2 shots prone @ 100yds
    2 sitting/kneeling @70
    2 standing @ 40
    2 whacks backhanded from 1 yrd?
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

The RTA course I was on recommended a hammer.
    This may be a good time for the BDS and basc etc etc to put a word in for the cops.
    Are they supposed to have left the deer in distress to please the know it all know nothings?.
    Last edited by private fraser; 30-07-2014 at 15:43. Reason: spelling mistake
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

THIS IS STUPID

The officers ended the suffering of an animal with a crowbar by probably caving in the skull rather than wait an hour of so for someone else to do it by other means. They acted in good faith to dispatch an animal that was in distress where others would have been happy to sit by while an animal was left in agony.

The law makes provision to do exactly what they did.

I suppose the key to it all will be, why didn't they do as ordered and use the firearms that they were despatched to the scene with? Since the matter is under investigation it hardly seems worthwhile or proper for us speculate about it.

That may well be the crux of the matter. In an isolated area, suitable resources with the means to despatch the deer could well have taken some time to arrive, especially in the early hours where they could easily be dealing with some other incident.

That leaves the officers there in the quandary of letting the deer continue to suffer or doing what they could with whatever is to hand to despatch it.

No doubt the senior officers in their plush offices with hindsight will want things to be done by the book and in all probability will have the percieved reputation of their service as a priority rather than the welfare of the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    That may well be the crux of the matter. In an isolated area, suitable resources with the means to despatch the deer could well have taken some time to arrive, especially in the early hours where they could easily be dealing with some other incident.

That leaves the officers there in the quandary of letting the deer continue to suffer or doing what they could with whatever is to hand to despatch it.

No doubt the senior officers in their plush offices with hindsight will want things to be done by the book and in all probability will have the percieved reputation of their service as a priority rather than the welfare of the deer.
    What quandary? They were Police firearms officers dispatched to the scene with their firearms and orders to shoot the injured deer. The only question that clearly needs answering is, why didn't they do as ordered? No doubt we may find out in due course why that was.