Thread: Humane Dispatch cock up highlights need for training/dedicated HAD professionals?

Humane Dispatch cock up highlights need for training/dedicated HAD professionals?

another case of blue against blue with no real circumstance
    but I would say it adds greatly to the justification for anyone requesting a pistol for HAD

BBC News - Durham Police officers probed over deer

Two Durham Police firearms officers may face criminal charges after an injured deer was apparently killed with a crowbar.
    The officers had been dispatched to destroy the animal, which was believed to have been hit by a vehicle.
    But it is understood that, instead of using a firearm, the officers used a crowbar to kill the animal.
    The force's deputy chief constable, Michael Banks, said the Crown Prosecution Service had been informed.
    The officers, who have not been named or their ranks revealed, have been moved to other duties.
    Mr Banks said the deer should have been destroyed humanely with firearms, but had apparently been killed with a crowbar taken from a police vehicle.
    He said: "This should never have happened and I am sorry that Durham officers appear to have behaved in this way."
    'Gross misconduct'

A pistol is about the LAST tool for humane dispatch. Supported my a lot of people who know their onions.

We have pistols and I only have used them when there has been no other gun available. If setting out from home to an RTA I wouldn't even take one out of the cabinet.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Been talked about on a previous post recently and closed because of the usual inappropriate and misguided posts by some, I'm sure this will go the same way. deerwarden

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    another case of blue against blue with no real circumstance
    but I would say it adds greatly to the justification for anyone requesting a pistol for HAD

BBC News - Durham Police officers probed over deer

Two Durham Police firearms officers may face criminal charges after an injured deer was apparently killed with a crowbar.
    The officers had been dispatched to destroy the animal, which was believed to have been hit by a vehicle.
    But it is understood that, instead of using a firearm, the officers used a crowbar to kill the animal.
    The force's deputy chief constable, Michael Banks, said the Crown Prosecution Service had been informed.
    The officers, who have not been named or their ranks revealed, have been moved to other duties.
    Mr Banks said the deer should have been destroyed humanely with firearms, but had apparently been killed with a crowbar taken from a police vehicle.
    He said: "This should never have happened and I am sorry that Durham officers appear to have behaved in this way."
    'Gross misconduct'
    I think what it shows is that appropriate training and using the appropriate tool for the job is really important.

There was a similar thread with the usual suspects saying it is fine and dandy to kill a deer with a crowbar .... which is true if there is nothing more suitable to hand .... but given the reported circumstances it was unlikely that a crowbar was the officers best choice .... but we will see.

Appropriate practice with the appropriate tool or tools is the key ..... for some that will indeed be a pistol of the appropriate type and calibre.

Police are not trained to deal with such situations and may not even have been armed? Discharge of a firearm means lots of justification and paperwork! They ended the animals suffering by possibly the best means available to them. Good on them, at least they did something. They certainly haven't broken the law. You must consider the type of firearms and ammo they might have had. The situation may not have been safe to shoot? They should be commended for dealing with it. Not many would these days for fear of exactly what has happened here!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Police are not trained to deal with such situations and may not even have been armed? Discharge of a firearm means lots of justification and paperwork! They ended the animals suffering by possibly the best means available to them. Good on them, at least they did something. They certainly haven't broken the law. You must consider the type of firearms and ammo they might have had. The situation may not have been safe to shoot? They should be commended for dealing with it. Not many would these days for fear of exactly what has happened here!
    MS
    which is why some constabularys have trained deer managers and stalkers on call to do this.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service