Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap train tickets needed

Cheap train tickets needed

Hi chaps,
    I'm off work next week and want to take the Mrs and 2 kids (6) from Peterborough to London on the train and tube to the Transport Museum.

Anyone know the best way to get cheap tickets as the online sites I've looked at are quoting over 150 for the family off peak for the train alone!!

Factor in the tube, parking, grub, museum entrance, etc, etc, and I could take them to Portugal cheaper for a weekend than the smoke for a day!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Travel on a Saturday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tickets.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	45177

Crikey I never realised it made that much difference!! I guess London is busy mid week as well as weekend so probably won't make that much difference when we go?!

Also, make sure you have Oyster cards. Do not travel just with paper tickets, it is deliberately punitively expensive. Buses no longer accept cash or sell paper tickets, it's just Oyster and payment by touching your debit card to the reader.

Second what pine martin said, we use oyster cards all the time at work when we have meetings in the city. Children get them free as well. Look at buying single tickets not returns and take the slow train from Peterborough, stops everywhere but a lot cheaper, train fairs usually drop off about 8.30 in price.

Yep, you've got to book way ahead to catch the cheap seats midweek. Do that journey fairly often as we've got family just outside Peterborough and that's the going rate for midweek at short(ish) notice.

Andy

Get on martins money tips and type in cheap rail tickets.

Weekends much cheaper and blocks of much reduced tickets are released 6+ weeks in advance but you need to be quick.

Currently deals on family cards so take a look.

D

Also, find the cheapest tickets on the "trainline" website but buy them on the operators website, i.e. East Coast etc so you don't have to pay a booking fee.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Hi chaps,
    I could take them to Portugal cheaper for a weekend than the smoke for a day!!
    I'm in the smoke right now Stratts and, as unhelpful as it is, my advice would be to take them to Portugal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    I'm in the smoke right now Stratts and, as unhelpful as it is, my advice would be to take them to Portugal!!
    You know what mate, the only hiccup there is that I realised our passports have run out and they've not had their 1st ones yet so that's gonna cost me too!!

Now where's my tent!!