Thread: Booked Stalking

Booked Stalking

Just a quick question guys,

I am applying for my FAC in the coming months, my DSC1 is in a couple of weeks. I am a probationary member of Christchurch gun club.

I do not have any stalking ground but have been on 3 accompanied stalks and successfully shot a fallow buck. Will these previous bookings be enough reason for a deer calibre or will I need future bookings?

Thanks

Tom

Future stalks would probably help if you can get any booked

You need to show good reason for a deer caliber, so you'll need a few booking confirmations to put down with your application.... With three previous stalks and DSC1 under your belt on top, you should't have any problems.

The easier route maybe to wait until your full membership of your rifle club is confirmed. You can then apply for your FAC and rifle calibres of your choice as your "good reason" is for target shooting as a full member of that HO Approved Club will have been established. If, at a future date, you wish to use deer your legal calibres for stalking on a fee paying basis you should not be required to prove "good reason" again. If required your previous receipts/invoices for stalking on a fee paying basis should be sufficient to evidence the requirement for you FAC to be conditioned for the lawful shooting of deer plus the inclusion of the expanding ammunition condition.

I would ask for the previous stalkers who took you out to write a confirmation of your stalking with them and the grassed deer. It would also help if you had confirmation of further outings to add weight to your request.

I am not sure whether your constabulary asks for Level 1 DSC but many do. I know it is not law, but if they ask for it, you will be hard pushed to get your FAC for deer without it.

Good luck
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Bookings from stalkers and a letter from a keeper was all I had when I asked for my first fac , if forces insist on dsc or other " qualifications " direct them to home office guidelines , we make a rod for our own backs when we just accept whatever they want regardless of the rules and regs
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    The easier route maybe to wait until your full membership of your rifle club is confirmed. You can then apply for your FAC and rifle calibres of your choice as your "good reason" is for target shooting as a full member of that HO Approved Club will have been established. If, at a future date, you wish to use deer your legal calibres for stalking on a fee paying basis you should not be required to prove "good reason" again. If required your previous receipts/invoices for stalking on a fee paying basis should be sufficient to evidence the requirement for you FAC to be conditioned for the lawful shooting of deer plus the inclusion of the expanding ammunition condition.
    this is what I did, I also did my DSC1 as my knowledge of deer was very limited. I had no problems at all

Book some stalking with someone that will be flexible if you don't go for a while.
    Build up a portfolio of everything you do: stalking, outings to watch deer/vermin, letters, references, visits to the gun club (Even if you do not shoot. Just sign the register of attendance.),etc.
    DSC is not required but often asked for. Do it but point out it is not required!
    Get your full membership. How long is probationary period? 6 months? Which you are probably partway through.
    Make it hard for them to refuse without building a rod for yours or anyone else's back.

Thanks alot to everyone who took the time to answer, all very useful advice!

Tom