Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun cabinets

Gun cabinets

Hi folks , im needing some advice on which are the best gun cabinets out there ,the one I have at the minute is police approved , it's just very small! Any advice is much appreciated!
    thanks

I have and like brattonsound. How big would you need your cabinet to be?

I use a Brattonsound 5/7. I find that the minimum number is all you really want to store in them or else they're jammed in like sardines. I'm sure others will be along recommending equally good kit.

My Brattonsound is on its third set of lock and keys in four years. This time I only narrowly avoided having to call a locksmith out. Brattonsound, as before, sent a new lock and keys by return of post free of charge despite the warranty having expired so I can't fault their customer service, but locks should not wear out, jam or otherwise malfunction, particularly when it comes to firearm security. Fortunately I was unable to unlock mine rather than the other way round, so at least the guns were secure but the experience has put me off this make. Not everyone has had trouble with Brattonsound so maybe there was a faulty batch of locks in circulation, but my experience is far from uncommon. If anything else goes wrong or if I move house again I'll get a Sentry combination safe. Nearly double the money but I think you get what you pay for.
    Other than that, as phitt suggests don't believe any makers stated capacity, particularly for rifles. Mine claims to be a 6/7 gun safe. I could get 7 rifles in it only if I removed scopes, bolts and slings and shoved them in top and tail and didn't care about marking them. In the real world its a six gun safe at the most if they're all slender willow wands, 5 if you've got anything lumpy like a varminter or tactical rifle and four if, like me, one rifle wears a bulky NV scope.

Be carefull the police are looking at cabinets, there are some out there stamped bs standard but the bolt that shoots out of the lock is laminated and not a solid so is a week spot, they are failing them on inspection, can only say they are mainly cheap imports, you get what you pay for,

How odd as laminated should be more resistant to attack surely.

Just looked in one of mine and yes the lock latch bar is laminated it's also a Brattonsound. In fact four of my cabinets are of Brattonsound manufacture. All are of course older as they were purchased many years ago now. So far have had no problems with locks on any of them. My first cabinet was of another make and is still going strong that was purchased before Brattonsound started making cabinets. I recall going to their factory in the Mk4 Cortina estate and coming away witht eh suspension on the stops with the weight of the cabinets loaded in the back . Can also recall doing the same but loaded with cast lead pistol bullets from the K&T stand at the Bisley Pistol meets.

If the Police are doing this I can only assume it's just another "Tax" imposed upon the shooter by them.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7x57 View Post
    Be carefull the police are looking at cabinets, there are some out there stamped bs standard but the bolt that shoots out of the lock is laminated and not a solid so is a week spot, they are failing them on inspection, can only say they are mainly cheap imports, you get what you pay for,
    Curious as to how they would be qualified to judge if a cabinet actually conforms to British Standards. Also curious as to how they can insist that a cabinet conforms to B.S. standards, doesn't the law just require that firearms are secured when not in use. In my line of work we often have to accept European standards also, in fact I was led to believe that this is in accordance with EU legislation. Can they therefore insist on just a B.S. standard?????

I have seen many excellent cabinets that have never been subjected to testing yet exceed B.S. standards by a significant degree, many of these being of European or American manufacture and comply with the relevant standards in those countries.

P.S. The lock on my Brattonsound cabinet was replaced too only a week after I purchased it. Good cabinets but let down by nasty cheap Chinese locks. If I ever replace the cabinet it will be with a German cabinet that I saw at the CLA.
    Last edited by 8x57; 01-08-2014 at 09:12.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I really like my sentry safes with keypad access - good and deep for scopes rifles. Also have a couple of the biometric fingerprint safes that work well but aren't as deep

regards

Simon

Regular Poster
    I can only comment from personal experience, but I have been very happy with my Brattonsound cabinets. I have 3, all with vault type doors, and have never had an issue with them at all. As has already been mentioned, you will do well to fit in as many rifles as advertised in them; I myself can fit 3 shotguns and 2 rifles in a cabinet advertised as a 7 gun one, or 4 scoped rifles, one with a nv scope) Having said that if I wasn't so concerned about cabinet marks on my pretties then 6 would probably be possible. This seems to be a common issue with all makes of cabinet, and at least the brattonsound ones are nice and deep so you don't have to worry about big objective scopes. Police had no issue with them and they are reassuringly solid, especially when you have to lug the things up stairs or out of the car boot! Seems like good value for the peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    My Brattonsound is on its third set of lock and keys in four years. This time I only narrowly avoided having to call a locksmith out. Brattonsound, as before, sent a new lock and keys by return of post free of charge despite the warranty having expired so I can't fault their customer service, but locks should not wear out, jam or otherwise malfunction, particularly when it comes to firearm security. Fortunately I was unable to unlock mine rather than the other way round, so at least the guns were secure but the experience has put me off this make. Not everyone has had trouble with Brattonsound so maybe there was a faulty batch of locks in circulation, but my experience is far from uncommon. If anything else goes wrong or if I move house again I'll get a Sentry combination safe. Nearly double the money but I think you get what you pay for.
    Other than that, as phitt suggests don't believe any makers stated capacity, particularly for rifles. Mine claims to be a 6/7 gun safe. I could get 7 rifles in it only if I removed scopes, bolts and slings and shoved them in top and tail and didn't care about marking them. In the real world its a six gun safe at the most if they're all slender willow wands, 5 if you've got anything lumpy like a varminter or tactical rifle and four if, like me, one rifle wears a bulky NV scope.
    I to am on my third set of keys and locks