Thread: The height of high seats

The height of high seats

I'm going to make some wooden highseats but was wondering is there a golden rule for the hight
    as was hopeing to make them 2440 mm or 8ft high so can easily transport them in my van from place to place
    or is this to low ?

That sounds too low. If 8ft is to the top of the seat back, the seat will be 18-24" below that, your feet another couple of feet down, and if you allow for the angle against a tree, your feet could be around 4ft or less off the ground.

All the ones I have made are 3m to the seat point plus the shooting rail on top
    Atb TomTom

Some sites may not require as high as has been recommended the ones I make are site specific really .as a rule though 8'-10' to the seat position

Depends on the terrain your placing them on. I have in the past erected seats 20ft of the ground and others only 4ft off the ground.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Depends on the terrain your placing them on. I have in the past erected seats 20ft of the ground and others only 4ft off the ground.

Al
    +1 on this advice, I make highseats for specific locations on my ground, the tallest being 4.2 metres to the seat base, lowest just 1 metre to the seat base. Both work equally well as they were put in the "right" place which I think is the most important aspect of highseat shooting.
    Wingy

Would that be leanto or freestanding? 6pointers system is ideal for leanto and eight foot ladder would do the job. Could even use extending ladder for more height. Freestanding, use 3x3 fence posts to platform then build on top. Excellent height for most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Would that be leanto or freestanding? 6pointers system is ideal for leanto and eight foot ladder would do the job. Could even use extending ladder for more height. Freestanding, use 3x3 fence posts to platform then build on top. Excellent height for most cases.
    freestanding made from 4x2 tanilled stress graded timber

I made one this week for a friend who is coming to shoot and he is getting on a bit so its made from 3x2 o/sawn, every spar is bolted to make it rigid but light to carry,its 2.4 to the seat and the rest about 800mm above that because the rides are uphill, with 2 bolts removed from the 2 cross leg braces it pivots and folds into itself life a set of step ladders.