Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard in a gunshop in France: a novel definition of a "grain"

Overheard in a gunshop in France: a novel definition of a "grain"

A friend of mine reports that he was in a gunshop in France the other day and the owner was on the phone with a customer who wanted some .280 Remington Core Lokt ammunition with 165 grain bullets. Grains being an obscure measure in France, another customer asked what exactly a grain was. At which point an old timer stepped in to offer the following explanation: back when they first banned the use of buckshot for deer and boar in France and imposed the use of rifles, they settled on this purely administrative measure of a "grain" in order to show the equivalent power and effectiveness in terms that hunters understood. So a grain is a unit of power/effectiveness equivalent to that of a single pellet of buckshot. Thus a 165 grain bullet has the same effectiveness on an animal as 165 large pellets!

And there I was stupidly stuck with my idea that it's just an Imperial unit of mass equivalent to about 65 milligrammes or the nominal weight of a single grain of barley!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    A friend of mine reports that he was in a gunshop in France the other day and the owner was on the phone with a customer who wanted some .280 Remington Core Lokt ammunition with 165 grain bullets. Grains being an obscure measure in France, another customer asked what exactly a grain was. At which point an old timer stepped in to offer the following explanation: back when they first banned the use of buckshot for deer and boar in France and imposed the use of rifles, they settled on this purely administrative measure of a "grain" in order to show the equivalent power and effectiveness in terms that hunters understood. So a grain is a unit of power/effectiveness equivalent to that of a single pellet of buckshot. Thus a 165 grain bullet has the same effectiveness on an animal as 165 large pellets!

And there I was stupidly stuck with my idea that it's just an Imperial unit of mass equivalent to about 65 milligrammes or the nominal weight of a single grain of barley!
    Pure Sophistry.
    1/7000 of a pound.~Muir

Ahhhh right, makes sense. So a deer hit with a 400 grain 45-70 bullet reacts like it's been hit by 28(.57) shotgunners using 36g of SSG?
    Im glad you've told me that since it seems I've been carrying 27 people (and a kid) around unnecessarily.

Exactly! Knowing that, it makes it easier to select an appropriate bullet for the quarry. I mean if you think that a .45-70 bullet is the same as 28 12bore cartridges loaded with SSG, it makes you realise that your roe deer is just going to be a mangled mess and of no use to anyone. Whereas a .22RF bullet is probably ideal.

Running the risk of meat damage there mate, spud gun with soft point jersey royals should work nicely.

On a (kinda) serious note, the m12 hex nuts I use in me catapult are just under 27 grains. So that's both barrels worth of SSG.
    That's a lot of power. Technically a straight pull.....Blaser rival? I know I think so!

How can people who work with or sell guns not know what grains are!

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    How can people who work with or sell guns not know what grains are!
    It wasn't the gunsmith, it was just some old bloke in the shop. That said, it's an obscure unit even here, so in the vast majority of the world which uses the metric system, it's unknown outside of the context of US-made bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It wasn't the gunsmith, it was just some old bloke in the shop. That said, it's an obscure unit even here, so in the vast majority of the world which uses the metric system, it's unknown outside of the context of US-made bullets.
    and homeloaders

That's better then.
    I must admit, if I look at a European manufacturers site and it's in grams I have to give it a google and find out what I'm actually looking at.

I needed a laugh today thanks PM..

A bit like the two kids looking at the Mauser action rifles on the rack in a gun shop. One said "that's a mouser" the other one said "it can't be very powerful then if it's only for shooting mice".

To be honest the explanation about grains is not different to a lot of other utter tripe that I have heard said in gun shops. More often than not by the assistants rather than the customers.
    Last edited by 8x57; 01-08-2014 at 15:28.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.