Thread: Widlife Activity

Widlife Activity

Hoping to draw on the experience of those who have more than me!
    I popped out for a few hours with the rifle Tuesday night (3 to be exact) from 10pm onwards and hardly saw any wildlife what so ever.
    Very few rabbits on the ground, no deer in their usual haunts and not a single sighting of our quarry that night - Charlie.

There was nothing different in the weather than of late, could lunar activity be a factor?
    Quite perplexed as there's plenty about at the moment since the delivery of these seasons poults.

A penny for your thoughts?!
    "A gem is not polished without friction nor man perfected without trials"

I'm a very keen wildlife-ist (I've written about 20 books on natural history subjects) and go out foxing with high tech kit pretty well every night of the year. I can say that in my experience the amount of wildlife one sees on any given occasion can vary dramatically for reasons that are not at all obvious to a mere human. Sometimes it appears to be because the moon is too bright, but as there's nothing lunar showing at the moment, it can't be that!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I'm a very keen wildlife-ist (I've written about 20 books on natural history subjects) and go out foxing with high tech kit pretty well every night of the year. I can say that in my experience the amount of wildlife one sees on any given occasion can vary dramatically for reasons that are not at all obvious to a mere human. Sometimes it appears to be because the moon is too bright, but as there's nothing lunar showing at the moment, it can't be that!

I know, it was all very strange - they just decided to 'stay at home' I checked lunar forecast etc and all looked well. I can honestly say I'm never seen this ground so quiet.
    I covered approx. 2000 acres with very little seen
    "A gem is not polished without friction nor man perfected without trials"

Big cat working around in front of you,not as ridiculous as it seems? Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Paddy is correct when he says reasons that are not obvious to us. I have been involved in the countryside and its wild occupants for a very long time and have learned quite a lot, but I have only scratched the surface. We see so much on TV, videos etc. and read lots of books but do we realty know what makes animals tick?
    I am sure other keepers and ex keepers will have come across days when very large numbers of pheasants just disappear, not just in one spot but all over the shoot and there is no apparent reason why. Where do they go, no idea but they are (usually) back the next day. Sometimes I suspect we think we know more than in fact we really do.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Paddy is correct when he says reasons that are not obvious to us. I have been involved in the countryside and its wild occupants for a very long time and have learned quite a lot, but I have only scratched the surface. We see so much on TV, videos etc. and read lots of books but do we realty know what makes animals tick?
    I am sure other keepers and ex keepers will have come across days when very large numbers of pheasants just disappear, not just in one spot but all over the shoot and there is no apparent reason why. Where do they go, no idea but they are (usually) back the next day. Sometimes I suspect we think we know more than in fact we really do.
    Very true!

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Exactly how it is.

I blame Rupert Murdoch. Far too much sport on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I blame Rupert Murdoch. Far too much sport on TV.
    Correction - 'Far too many games on TV'. Sport involves the risk of death or serious injury, whereas games involve such things as chasing a ball about the place.

Yes had very similar experiences this year places that should be alive are just dead, on one particular farm which is normally a goldmine when the grass was cut was devoid of all life, no rabbits, hares foxs deer and no badgers.

I would have staked a hefty wager on productive nights. Over 4 nights nothing, only when top two fields were cut did I get 3 foxs.

I do sometimes think big moggies do excist.

D