Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steer ssg69 p2. In 308 calibre

Steer ssg69 p2. In 308 calibre

Have had a new steyer now for a few months,have fitted a z6i ballistic turret on it,so should be a great long range accurate rifle.
    I've only tried 123gr and 150 gr weight bullet thru it, not into home loading at moment as don't have the time or patience to learn yet
    Does any one else use this rifle and if you do what's been
    your best factory load used.

First day out on fallow buck in Devon took 8 deer first day and the ninth on 2/8/14
    shots ranged from 300mtr to 80mtr

Any thoughts appreciated

Ty. Steve.to
    Last edited by DEVONDEER; 03-08-2014 at 09:50. Reason: Misspelling

Shoot a couple of steyrs not tried geco 170 s/p yet on red but at 23 a box you might want to give em a try my steyrs like geco

A mate of mine uses one for target shooting. He gets good results with Norma Diamondline 168 grain.

Iv got the P1 and it liked the winchester silver tips 150grn, but at 47 for 20(last time i bought some) i decided it was time to reload

atb James

Quote Originally Posted by yetidude69 View Post
    Iv got the P1 and it liked the winchester silver tips 150grn, but at 47 for 20(last time i bought some) i decided it was time to reload

atb James
    Crikey James someone was taking you for a ride mate, no wonder you started to reload.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Crikey James someone was taking you for a ride mate, no wonder you started to reload.
    Ha yes well lets just say i didnt buy many of them, my .308 is used predominantly as stalking tool, and i dont have my own ground with deer, so i just pay for a few days stalking each year, so it wasnt that expensive if you look at it that way.
    Another factory offering which it grouped .75moa was 168grn HPBT PPU ammo- that was only 12 a box and perfect for targets.

I saw a bill the other night for Sako .308 150grn Hammerhead ammo that was bought by another site member, it was for 27 a box and purchased just a day or so before from one of the big shooting stores in the U.K. That ammo is first rate and while I prefer to reload myself (using exactly the same bullet), if I didn't reload that would be my choice of factory ammo.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Nice rifle. My favourite of Steyr Mannlicher s modern offerings. My mate has one in 243W.

I used to own the full size Steyr SSG-69. It shot everything very well.

You don't need to shoot 165-gr premium loads on deer at 300 yards or less. I would just stay with the 150-gr in that short barrel. Vanilla Remington, Winchester, Hornday, Sellier & Bellot and even Privi Partizan are great on deer.

My current Steyr .308 is a Pro Hunter with a 23.5 inch barrel. So far, every factory and handload of mine in groups under .75 MOA. i bought some Federal Premium Match 175-gr BTHP this week because it was on sale cheaper than anything, close to what it would cost to load. I will shoot a few just to check out where it puts them vs the hunting loads and the military ammo.

If you want to see what it will do with factory ammunition, shoot some 168-gr match ( even some of the cheaper brands like PPU), or the Federal Premium 175-gr Sierra Match at 2,600 fps.
    Last edited by Southern; 04-08-2014 at 16:30.

I think the ssg was originally designed to use 168 gr ammo. I have the piv (16 inch barrell) which works very well with 168 gr.