Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr No Idea

Mr No Idea

Hi
    I started clay pigeon shooting a few months back and have completed 10 lessons.
    My licence turned up 4 weeks ago after a long wait! and have now shot on my own a few times and
    feel confidant,despite still missing more than I can hit!!
    I'm shooting a Ceasar Guerini 12 G maxum game gun.
    i would like to go on a days pheasant shooting but I don't quite know where to start!!!
    I'm based near Winchester and are happy to travel 60-70 miles radius to shoot for the day.
    Can anyone advise or offer me some help.

I look forward to a few replies.
    All the best
    No idea

Welcome on in, Maybe your fellow shooters on the line might have a pointer or two for you?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

What you have to remember is everyone had no idea when they first started a good way to learn is join a beating team on a local shoot this will give you a view point from the other side so to speak and give you valuable experience on cock day at the end of the season and some pigeon roost shooting in feb .shooting clays will give you muzzle awareness and safety skills as well as building your confidence to actually hit stuff .i wouldn't waste yr money on a paying bird day untill you feel confident at killing your clays well ! this is for the live quarrys sake as well as your own peace of mind .slowly slowly catchy monkey you don't want to be a Bryn parry type character "the new gun" sticks out like a sore thumb because you shot unsafe birds and swung yr muzzle through the beaters and was general pain in the Are .
    take yr time
    kind regards
    norma

Welcome to the site

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

We have a pheasant syndicate not far from you and if you would like to come along and beat sometime it will give you a good insight into what happens on a pheasant shoot and if interested we often have places available for members in the spring.

Regards,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by No Idea View Post
    Hi
    I started clay pigeon shooting a few months back and have completed 10 lessons.
    My licence turned up 4 weeks ago after a long wait! and have now shot on my own a few times and
    feel confidant,despite still missing more than I can hit!!
    I'm shooting a Ceasar Guerini 12 G maxum game gun.
    i would like to go on a days pheasant shooting but I don't quite know where to start!!!
    I'm based near Winchester and are happy to travel 60-70 miles radius to shoot for the day.
    Can anyone advise or offer me some help.

I look forward to a few replies.
    All the best
    No idea

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply.
    I would really like the opportunity to help out and see how the shoot works.
    Please can you let me know what is required from myself and what the days and dates will be.
    Also I do have a work colleague who would also like to help.
    Some very good points made by Norma 308 as I don't want to be the new kid with all the gear and no idea.
    All the best
    No idea (Gary)
    Last edited by csl; 08-08-2014 at 22:07. Reason: tel no. removed

Hi Norma

Thank you for your reply and the tips as this has been very helpful.
    You guys/girls are quick on this site as it looks like I maybe able to help on a beat local to myself and gain
    some very needed experience.

All the best
    No idea (Gary)

Hi Gary,

You and your friend would both be most welcome to come along.
    The pheasant season starts on 1st October but we will probably start in the middle of October. We arrive at 07:45 for a bacon buttie at the shoot hut and head of for the first drive at about 08:30 and we will do 3 or 4 drives before returning to the shoot hut for a cooked lunch followed by 2 or 3 more drives in the afternoon. Beaters do not require any experience as there will be plenty of experienced people in the line to advise on what to do.
    We do not pay beaters but your lunch is free and you have first pick of the birds at the end of the day and we plan to have a beaters day at the end of the season, or give beaters a gun for the day on one of the shoots.

I shall give you a ring sometime this week and give you more details.

All the best,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by No Idea View Post
    Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply.
    I would really like the opportunity to help out and see how the shoot works.
    Please can you let me know what is required from myself and what the days and dates will be.
    Also I do have a work colleague who would also like to help.
    Some very good points made by Norma 308 as I don't want to be the new kid with all the gear and no idea.
    All the best
    No idea (Gary)
    Last edited by csl; 08-08-2014 at 22:07. Reason: Tel. no removed

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the reply.
    I wouldn't expect to receive pay as we would like to gain the experience of beating and then when 2 places come free to join up to a syndicate.
    I look forward to your call.

All the best
    Regards No idea (Gary)

Welcome.... Enjoy and learn from everyone's knowledge on here!