Thread: 243 X-bolt, off the shelf foxing rounds

243 X-bolt, off the shelf foxing rounds

Afteroon all

ive recently purchased a brand new 243 X-bolt for my foxing and the odd deer,

i allways in the passed used a 223 for all my foxing but with the 243 im a little unsure what would be the best round..ive been told the 58grn winchester would be worth a try but that its a barrel burner..now i wont be doing 1000s of shots per year just lamping and the odd stalk..

the barrel is a 1-10twist,

whats would the experianced guys on hear suggest would be a consistant off the shelf compleat round to try...?? not looking for 100s of yards flat shooting, just a good round for lamping, and the odd crow..

Thanks for any suggestions..

R.

Give these a try http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...-x-factor.aspx They shot very well out of an X Bolt when we tried them at the NGO deer branch meeting a few months back and there was an offer of buy one get one half price on the ammo.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If you're after the odd deer as well, go for 75s, remi accutip, rare as rocking horse now, or hornady sst. But if solely a foxing / crow rifle, 58s will be grand!
    Blair

A friend of mine has an X-bolt and swears by Winchester ballistic silvertip 55 grn. He puts 100's rounds per year through his and it still shoots brilliantly 6 years on.

Hi I have the A bolt and use 70grn B/Tips and 39grns benchmark and that groups great right out to 200yrds I know you asked for off the shelf ammo but thought this may help as your rifle is close to mine
    Last edited by G1963; 06-08-2014 at 11:47. Reason: miss read question

I can recommend 75grn remmi accutips for fox and deer, had really good results with these in my x-bolt

cheers guys..

thanks for all the replies..

Quote Originally Posted by fox stalker View Post
    Afteroon all

ive recently purchased a brand new 243 X-bolt for my foxing and the odd deer,

i allways in the passed used a 223 for all my foxing but with the 243 im a little unsure what would be the best round..ive been told the 58grn winchester would be worth a try but that its a barrel burner..now i wont be doing 1000s of shots per year just lamping and the odd stalk..

the barrel is a 1-10twist,

whats would the experianced guys on hear suggest would be a consistant off the shelf compleat round to try...?? not looking for 100s of yards flat shooting, just a good round for lamping, and the odd crow..

Thanks for any suggestions..

R.
    I use Remington core lock 100g group well drop deer on the spot so fox should be no problem
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner