Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw rabbit for the dog?

Raw rabbit for the dog?

Does anyone feed raw rabbit to their dog? Personally I tend to just keep the back legs for cooking and then chuck the rest but would actually be keen to give the rest to the dog as he seems to do so well on raw venison. Tried him on a few bits today which he wolfed down.. What's best? In fur? Much likelihood of worms or liver fluke or something?
    Cheers

My dog eats the lot, but if I can paunch it first it saves the farts getting too much :/
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I regularly go out with a .22 and my dog, shoot a rabbit and then just sit and chill out whilst he finishes it off. He's caught a young one before and didn't even chew it, just swallowed it in one go!

I always paunch them, as I don't like them eating all that gut and worms etc. Sometimes in the fur other times I skin them. They do enjoy chewing the legs up and ripping the skin off, so don't see any problem with feeding the skins.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Used to know a guy that chucked them whole in the freezer and then pulled one out a day for his dog. Maybe the frost killed the worms.
    Bit like a doggy lollypop
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

My Whippets eat rabbit a lot. Mostly raw, sometimes skin on, sometimes off. Feet off but head left on.
    I would always paunch them.....nothing should eat ****!
    You will need to keep a strict worming programme though if you don't already.
    Bones are generally fine if raw....I'm sure your aware that cooked bones are a no no. There is always a small risk of a splintered bone causing injury even with raw though.
    Mincing the meat is another option but time consuming depending on the type of mincer you use.
    Also just be weary that if you feed raw alongside a complete diet regularly not to O/D on the protein intake

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I regularly go out with a .22 and my dog, shoot a rabbit and then just sit and chill out whilst he finishes it off. He's caught a young one before and didn't even chew it, just swallowed it in one go!
    Personally I would discourage this if you are wanting the dog the retrieve any shot quarry

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Personally I would discourage this if you are wanting the dog the retrieve any shot quarry
    He is a staff x mastiff that I rescued and has a mouth as soft as a crocodile. I'm just glad he can walk quietly to heel until he hears a gun shot then he's off looking for his dinner. In a few years once he's slowing down I'll get a HPR and do some proper training with it.

rabbits can often have tapeworm cysts in the muscle
    if not skinned you won't know
    if not cooked or frozen you run the risk of the dog picking them up wholesale!

but if cooked you run the bone splinter risk
    catch 22

I have paunched rabbits with bad cases of gut worms, must also be worm eggs somewhere in the gut. I would not feed the guts to them.
    How's your end of the gene pool today?