Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new dsc roe specific.

A new dsc roe specific.

Hello folks, been having a think about the dsc1 and how unsuited to myself it is. As my sole game quarry is roe with my .223 (as stipulated on my fac) why isn't they're a dsc course to cover solely scottish roe? I find it odd that to pass a dsc I need to know about species that I will never have anything to do with. If I was ever to go after another species I.e red, then it would be on a paid stalk and the guide would no doubt be covered.
    The need to know about cwd and muntjac doesn't apply as We don't have them up here( do we??)
    but even if we did would they not be classed as an invasive species and be shot as pest/vermin?

but putting that aside why do I need to know about red,fallow and sika when...
    1. The ground I shoot on has none
    2. I don't have a calibre capable of shooting them.
    3. The only large game animal I am ever likely to shoot is roe.

not looking to start an argument, just think that a specific roe course would be more beneficial to shooters like myself.

What d'yous think??

regards...

How many shooters like yourself do you think there are?
    Who would want an 'only Roe' course' when they could do the whole six?

Am going to take a punt here; you'd like to do DSC1 (or why ask..), but the learning element of six species, laws and seasons seems a bit daunting?
    If yes, think those that have taken DSC1 probably felt the same, it's not easy but is with practice.

Other than that, if you don't need DSC1, and you're happy shooting Roe from now until eternity - save yourself some money and enjoy your shooting.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

DSC1 is theoretical. You don't need to have ever seen a deer (never mind shot one) to pass.

I think it is perfectly fit for purpose and would be insanity to add specific papers for each species. Someone would scream 'cash cow'. The costs to run the exams, the shooting test etc would all be the same.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I'm a qualified joiner and learnt to do a gun stock joint when I was at college but have never done one since, courses are generalised and give a sound basis on which to learn. Once passed read read and read something else get out and watch your chosen quarry and expand what you have learnt.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    P's. ... Please don't let's have another course from the training providers haha.

Personally, I'd like any course I took, on whatever subject, to teach me more than I thought I needed, on the basis that I might actually find I needed it later (those who design courses have mostly given more thought to what goes in than those who take them), and because I like to pursue a fuller understanding of the many aspects of life in which I have an interest.

After all, how many people log into SD and only look at those posts that are directly relevant to what they do already?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I think they should if there's the call for it and then do one for each separate deer, and not allow any new stalkers a ticket until they have completed them all, or on the other hand you could buy a book on roe stalking and then one on reds, fallow and so on, and then carry out some stalking which will teach you a damn sight more than DSC1 ever will

I wouldn't think there is enough people wanting this so it will more than likely never happen. Do the course them you have it, no need to do another course if you ever change your mind about shooting other deer.

Al

I'd not bother with DSC1 if I were you...

You clearly have neither need nor appetite to understand 4 species that you definitely won't encounter, so either use the money for a couple of the paid stalks for Red that you mentioned or find someone locally that has immersed themselves in stalking Roe, and ask them to take you out and learn from them.

There are some great books specific to Roe, so buy one and read front to back and back again as this will help you understand more about the 1 quarry you are after. "Roe Deer - Management and Stalking" by Richard Prior should be your first I'd suggest, and at £20 off eBay and healthy saving on the £200 for DSC1, you'll quids in from day 1.

Enjoy the learning!
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

This is a great idea. We could then all have an extra page on our FAC's stating which deer we're allowed to shoot based on which Deer species DSC1 we took. Do part B and send your FAC back in for an update, part C and off it goes again. And they better get it turned around quickly as I need to buy some bullets! At least it would give the Licensing department something to do as I understand that currently they're twiddling their thumbs.
    Obviously the bolt on parts would only cost £20 max as you will have already spent far too much on the original course. Any more than £20 and the course providers are just trying to rip you off as their admin should be free on such a short course!

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I'd not bother with DSC1 if I were you...

You clearly have neither need nor appetite to understand 4 species that you definitely won't encounter, so either use the money for a couple of the paid stalks for Red that you mentioned or find someone locally that has immersed themselves in stalking Roe, and ask them to take you out and learn from them.

There are some great books specific to Roe, so buy one and read front to back and back again as this will help you understand more about the 1 quarry you are after. "Roe Deer - Management and Stalking" by Richard Prior should be your first I'd suggest, and at £20 off eBay and healthy saving on the £200 for DSC1, you'll quids in from day 1.

Enjoy the learning!
    iain
    +1
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions