Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: best .22lr semi-auto

  1. #1

    best .22lr semi-auto

    A friend is thinking of putting in for his fac, just wants a rabbit/vermin rifle and not spend a fortune on it.
    So I'm wondering what is good/reliable/reasonably priced?

    I prefer my bolt cz452...it can put three shots into an inch at 100 but friend is interested in the semi-auto market.

    I suppose the market comprises Ruger 10/22 or maybe cz512 or Mossberg...maybe s/h Buckmark.
    What do folk have / like / recommend ?
    Would appreciate accuracy / reliability info.

    Thanks
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

  2. #2
    Best I ever saw was an anshuntz 525 I'd avoid ruger 10/22 like the plague unless your friend wants to spend another six months and 1000 pounds getting it to shoot something like
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  3. #3
    SD Regular Greener Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Posts
    2,572
    Well since bolt is ruled out, the only real option is the ruger 10/22.

    Its not that great a rifle but up to 60-70 yards is as good as a bolt in my experience. If he starts or is likely to be shooting past that, lots of upgrade bits that can help with that.

    Or how about one of them new ISSC straight pulls. Quicker than a bolt, more accurate than a semi.

  4. #4
    SD Regular NorthDorset's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dorset/Somerset/Wilts Border
    Posts
    1,528
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ruger 10/22 is a good gun. Buy it, strip it, check it, treat it to an extended mag release and bolt hold open and an aftermarket trigger kit and you will have a cracker. You can pimp it, cheaply, anyway you want it.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

    We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Ruger 10/22 is a good gun. Buy it, strip it, check it, treat it to an extended mag release and bolt hold open and an aftermarket trigger kit and you will have a cracker. You can pimp it, cheaply, anyway you want it.
    Aye new barrel , stock action trigger and mag and you've a cracking gun lol
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Best I ever saw was an anshuntz 525 I'd avoid ruger 10/22 like the plague unless your friend wants to spend another six months and 1000 pounds getting it to shoot something like
    If it is for purely sporting shooting and not target shooting on the range then the Anschutz would be my choice also.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  7. #7
    I've tried most of them and I found the CZ512 was more accurate than the others. ISSC do a straight pull 22LR which is almost as fast as a semi and that was very accurate indeed.

  8. #8
    Have a look at a Voere, mines over 30 years old and still does the job well. You should be able to get 1 for around 100 in good condition.

  9. #9
    CZ 512 is really nice. It and the .22 WMR shoot well. On the Ruger 10/22, spend a few extra dollars for the longer rifle over the carbine. I think they shoot pretty well. I am probably the only man my age in America, outside of a metropolis, who doesn't own one.

    The best .22 LR semiautos, in my opinion, came from the heyday of the .22 LR in the 1950s and 1960s:
    * Remington Speedmaster
    * Savage had several models
    * Marlin 99C in walnut ( which was later made a bit more cheaply as the Model 60 we have today).
    * Weatherby XXII
    * Anschutz
    * HK

  10. #10
    Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St Vincent and the Grenadines
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    A friend is thinking of putting in for his fac, just wants a rabbit/vermin rifle and not spend a fortune on it.
    So I'm wondering what is good/reliable/reasonably priced?

    I prefer my bolt cz452...it can put three shots into an inch at 100 but friend is interested in the semi-auto market.

    I suppose the market comprises Ruger 10/22 or maybe cz512 or Mossberg...maybe s/h Buckmark.
    What do folk have / like / recommend ?
    Would appreciate accuracy / reliability info.

    Thanks
    Browning Buckmark. End.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Sig Sauer .22LR semi auto
    By David TS in forum Firearms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-12-2013, 18:14
  2. semi auto 22lr advise
    By 223 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 21:32
  3. For Sale Magtech .22LR Semi Auto
    By siamsteve1968 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-02-2013, 00:50
  4. Wanted Cheap .22LR Semi-Auto
    By Haggis Hunter in forum Firearms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-02-2013, 03:57
  5. For Sale CZ511 .22LR semi auto
    By soulboy1957 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-11-2012, 18:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •