Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very very very salivating puppy

Very very very salivating puppy

As per the title, my pup is currently salivating a ridiculous amount. She soaked her bed last night, her face is dripping, and she leaves a wet spot wherever she lies. She's also been off her food, will eat occasionally if her food is very wet and mashed up a bit. Also eats cooked chicken but not with much gusto. She's been off her food for a couple of days, the drooling has only been 24 hours. She's generally ok in herself, a little bit lethargic sometimes and grumpy. Had her to the vet today who.gave her anti-nausea stuff and a painkiller and told me to keep an eye on her.
    Any ideas as to what might be the cause? I asked whether it could be teething related but the vet wasn't convinced. Obviously there's no obvious thorns or.splinters etc in her mouth and she hasn't eaten anything toxic or dodgy to my knowledge.
    Thanks all
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Send a pm to apache on here i think hes a vet he may be able to offer some advice

He is. MMM.

A quick google reveals a lot of possible causes:

• Conformational disorder of the lips - particularly in giant-breed dogs

• Oral and Pharyngeal Diseases
      • Presence of a foreign body (e.g., linear foreign body, such as a sewing needle).
      • Tumor
      • Abscess
      • Gingivitis or stomatitis: inflammation of the lining of the mouth, secondary to periodontal disease
      • Viral upper respiratory infection
      • Immune-mediated disease
      • Kidney disease
      • Ingestion of a caustic agent, or poisonous plants
      • Effects of radiation therapy to the oral cavity
      • Burns (e.g., from biting on an electrical cord)
      • Neurologic or functional disorder of the pharynx

• Salivary Gland Diseases
      • Foreign body
      • Tumor
      • Sialoadenitis: inflammation of the salivary glands
      • Hyperplasia: over proliferation of cells
      • Infarction: area of necrotic tissue caused by loss of adequate blood supply
      • Sialocele: salivary-retention cyst
      • Esophageal or Gastrointestinal Disorders
      • Esophageal foreign body
      • Esophageal tumor
      • Esophagitis: inflammation of the esophagus secondary to ingestion of a caustic agent or poisonous plant
      • Gastroesophageal reflux
      • Hiatal hernia: stomach bulging up into the chest
      • Megaesophagus: enlarged esophagus
      • Gastric distension: bloating of the stomach
      • Gastric ulcer

• Metabolic Disorders
      • Hepatoencephalopathy - caused by a congenital or acquired portosystemic shunt, where the liver is not able to remove harmful substances from the blood, and the toxins are diverted to the brain
      • Hyperthermia: high fever
      • Uremia: kidney failure

• Neurologic Disorders
      • Rabies
      • Pseudorabies
      • Botulism
      • Tetanus
      • Dysautonomia: disease of the nervous system
      • Disorders that cause dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing
      • Disorders that cause facial nerve palsy or a dropped jaw
      • Disorders that cause seizures
      • Nausea associated with vestibular disease

• Drugs and Toxins
      • Caustic/corrosive toxins (e.g., household cleaning products and some common house plants).
      • Substances with a disagreeable taste
      • Substances that induce hypersalivation.
      • Animal venom (e.g., black widow spiders, Gila monsters, and North American scorpions)
      • Toad and newt secretions
      • Plant consumption may cause increased salivation (e.g., poinsettia, Dieffenbachia)
      • Excessive Production of Saliva in Dogs | petMD

Usually it's either the puppy is feeling sick or has been licking or chewing something it shouldn't have.

Keep a close eye on things and tempt the pup to eat and drink - they can go downhill very quickly.

How old is the pup?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks Apache.
    The pup is 18 weeks. Tonight she's eaten a cooked chicken breast (pulled apart into small pieces), and then later on a good sized helping of Brown rice which she ate more enthusiastically than I've seen her eat anything for a few days. I've seen her drink a fair amount too, and she's not dehydrated. She's been happy enough all evening, if a bit sleepy. Hasn't had any energetic play and isn't interested in her toys but isn't "flat" either. Still drooling like a pro, she went to sleep with her head on my leg and in half an hour I looked like I'd pi$$ed myself...
    Our vet said sickness was the most common cause, hence the injection, but I don't know how quickly that's meant to act. As yet it doesn't seem to have stemmed the flow!
    Vet said to take her back if not improved after 24 hours, so we'll see...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Did he warn you the injection can sting? If it's that one it works very quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Well folks, pup is still off today. She was pretty unenthusiastic when I got up. Eventually had a bit of a tickle and then ate some more chicken and rice. Her drooling seems possibly a little better, but she's still wetting through towels, her bed, etc. Showed s tiny bit of interest in toys, even did me a little retrieve but she's not her normal self.
    Wife and I are both working today so she'll be in her kennel (the dog, that is, not the wife!), wife will come home to feed her mid afternoon and if she's still off colour and/or dribbling loads it'll be back to the vet tomorrow.
    She was due worming yesterday, could that have any bearing? Should I worm her today or leave off until we know what's going on?
    Blog

You haven't used something like Spot-On of Frontline on her recently have you Simon?
    Only asking because one of my terriers drooled like your pup is for a day or so the first time I used Frontline on him.

As for worming,I would wait for Apaches input but personally I would like any pup of mine to be a bit better than yours sounds

Has she passed anything? If not the salivation might be due to nausea due to gut pain. However,the salivation is not usually that profuse. A contact irritant might be a cause, but usually that settles within 24 hours. I have seen a couple of rare cases of an overactive salivary gland, but they are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Has she passed anything? If not the salivation might be due to nausea due to gut pain. However,the salivation is not usually that profuse. A contact irritant might be a cause, but usually that settles within 24 hours. I have seen a couple of rare cases of an overactive salivary gland, but they are very rare.
    Yes, she's not been as frequent/regular as normal but I put that down to the change in volume and types of foods she's been eating. Nothing unusual about it otherwise. I wondered whether she'd managed to bit a nettle or been stung by something, as we'd taken her out just before I noticed it, bit like you say it's been a while now for anything like that to still be giving her grief.
    Blog

I've had a brainwave folks.
    Could it be her kennel? She's chewed the timber around the hole that goes from kennel to run, which I think is some sort of tanalised stuff. Would make sense as she was in there for a while on Sunday afternoon before this started, and has been all day Monday and Tuesday which would mean she could keep re-ingesting it.
    She hasn't been back to the vet yet, mainly as she's been totally normal in herself last night and today, aside from dribbling and a bit fussy over her food. She hasn't been in the kennel at all today because I've not been at work (she's only left in there when nobody's at home), so I'm hoping she might have cleared up by tomorrow morning. I'll work on a way to stop her chewing it, and if the problem disappears we might know why...
    Blog