DSC 2 Larder Part

Cris

Not so far having done DSC 2 but a higher professional qualification that saw me in the larder doing deer prep. I have a question on this aspect of the DSC 2. First of I would expect 99% of stalkers get their deer too the larder door of a game dealer and no further.

So the question is this. If you are doing your L2 and have no access to a larder, how do you complete this part? I would simply be handing over a field prepped carcass to the game dealers larder and no further.

The process follows these steps.

Plan
Stalk
observe target animal
Cull
Field prep / examine carcass
Extract
Larder

Not so far having done DSC 2 but a higher professional qualification that saw me in the larder doing deer prep. I have a question on this aspect of the DSC 2. First of I would expect 99% of stalkers get their deer too the larder door of a game dealer and no further.

So the question is this. If you are doing your L2 and have no access to a larder, how do you complete this part? I would simply be handing over a field prepped carcass to the game dealers larder and no further.

The process follows these steps.

Plan
Stalk
observe target animal
Cull
Field prep / examine carcass
Extract
Larder

If you have a look at the DMQ website and download Element 4 - Transport and Store Dead Deer- It does say observation, i.e. looking at someones larder OR Questioning i.e. if you do not have your own larder and do as you have said take straight to the game dealer. However you must still be able to get it to the gamedealer in an approved and hygeinic way, i.e. not thrown in with the dog etc.

Suspended field gralloch near the vehicle or off the back of the vehicle. Providing all the criteria is met and the carcase kept clean and not contaminated there should not be a problem. If its a small deer there is nothing wrong with a suspended gralloch in the field from a tree, providing you have a Roe sack or something to keep the carcase clean whilst extracting it to the vehicle, and you have covered all the criteria and have the necessary cleaning materials to hand. There must be no cross contamination and if all is kept clean and tidy there should not be a problem.

The AW would need to cover all aspects of keeping and maintaining a larder in the ICR and ask the relevant questions if the candidate does not have access to a larder/chiller. Then the carcase needs delivering to a game dealer or chiller pronto.

Thanks so what we are talking about is not actual larder work but carcass prep and extraction. Unless you can get a carcass to a larder and do the prep in the larder very quickly.
Thinking I might just get it done in the winter but always been a question in my mind on this point.
Just to be clear I always use a roe sack or short pull then into clean purpose designed tray in a clean load space. Dog in the main cab if he's with me. Always field gralloching and removal of both green and red offal.

Yes, if you have normally take a deer home to a larder before cold storage, the AW will come back with you and take a note of what he can see etc to see it is complying with the set standard, if you do not and your process is a field gralloch and getting it ready int he field then straight to the game dealer, then you will be asked all your larder questions in the field as he cannot observe this, such as what is the temp range for the chiller for deer; how do you keep your knives clean and sharp; how do you deal with vermin around the larder; what records do you keep in the larder; how do you clean walls, floors and surfaces in the larder. All of these would be apparent if you had a larder and he was observing but int he absence are questioned.

Equally if you are buying a day and it is not your larder, questioning must be used.

It is quite common place for trips straight to the game dealer hence observation or questioning on this section.

Back