Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood trail training for 2 year old Lab

Blood trail training for 2 year old Lab

I have a 2 year old labrador bitch that is a great 'at heel' deer dog. Bomb proof heel when stalking, bomb proof stay, no whining and indicates deer very well indeed leading to a number of kills in places/situations I would not have bothered stalking to were it not for this indication.

For a variety of reasons (laziness and overconfidence as well as a short period not stalking due to work/family) I've done very little trailing with her. A couple of trails which she was fine at and then into work in the field. I now realise that she isn't very good tending to head off on unwounded deer trails etc.

Any tips for trail training an older dog? I presume there is no reason why she shouldn't become proficient with some practice?

Pm sent.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

I too would be interested in any tips you may have for blood trailing with the older inexperienced Lab .

Any information on Training opportunities in Hampshire would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    Any information on Training opportunities in Hampshire would be much appreciated.
    We are planing a intro track training day in Wiltshire before Christmas.
    Phone me for more information.
    Tony

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    We are planing a intro track training day in Wiltshire before Christmas.
    Phone me for more information.
    Tony
    PM sent reference the training day.

Regards,

Martin

Training labs to blood trail is fairly easy, evertime you shoot something and you know its dead and where it is walk the Lab down wind let it find the deer by scent let it sniff the blood and when you are gralloching feed it some bits of Liver.

Have you ever seen a Lab that is not food orientated.

The last four I have trained worked like this.

They will follow a blood trail because they know there is food at the end.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Good tips there sikadog. I have a 13week old now but just getting the basics under way first. He does get to rag about with a roe skin now an then for the time being.

Hi. I have a 12 week old lab from working stock. From Howick to be exact. I plan on training him for stalking. His obedience training is coming on well. I have only ever had spaniels before which I used for rough shooting.
    I have never had a Lab or used a dog for stalking before so any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Training labs to blood trail is fairly easy, evertime you shoot something and you know its dead and where it is walk the Lab down wind let it find the deer by scent let it sniff the blood and when you are gralloching feed it some bits of Liver.

Have you ever seen a Lab that is not food orientated.

The last four I have trained worked like this.

They will follow a blood trail because they know there is food at the end.
    yeah best way to train them, I do the same but when their about 6 months old I take them stalking on the lead. When they find the deer I give them a bit of diaphragm instead, as said labs will do anything for food.

stacey