Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader

Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader

Hi All:

I am looking to get one of these for muzzleloader season in Virginia. Can you use a muzzleloader like this in the UK? Thanks.

ckhawks.com/remington_ultimate_muzzleloader.html

Pretty sure you can use a muzzle loader over here after chrono with then correct weight bullet to see its deer legal .mate had jim Shockey over and he used his on red and munty .

I believe the BDS said no so most forces, if not all, say no.
    Which is a shame int it!

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Pretty sure you can use a muzzle loader over here after chrono with then correct weight bullet to see its deer legal .mate had jim Shockey over and he used his on red and munty .
    If it can reach the minimal energy for the species to be hunted here, then a modern muzzle loader using the system above could be used the same as a Ruger no 1 single shot rifle etc. In the States there are modern M/L rifles far removed from Davy Crocket etc, inline primers/caps, and propellants made into sabots etc where you can use/load your propellant far quicker than using the "Holy Black" We are lucky to have far less stringent laws here and can hunt all year for all species for any amount we can account for to achieve our cull plans. In the States they have "tag limits" for modern rifles, extra tags are applied for for muzzle loaders, possibly modern and historic models, our American members can advise on that, also bows, etc to allow them to take more animals, count yourselves lucky that we are not so strictly regulated. I proved my Ulberti 45-60, a modern repro of the 1876 can easily be loaded with modern powders, not black powder, to achieve the required energy levels for all deer, I use it for stalking in close cover and follow up, as well as for my target shooting club. This was granted as an acceptable weapon for both disciplines. Personally I would not use a M/Loader here, but in the States it would to allow me to be out there doing what I love, stalking/hunting what ever your country calls it. Don't be complacent on what we can and cannot own to carry out our sport, your FLO is often wrong and anti number/ownership of firearms you would like to own, prove a reason and valid requirement to own what you can use. SAGBNI and Mike Wells were very helpful on my recent FAC issue. deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 05-08-2014 at 17:04.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I believe the BDS said no so most forces, if not all, say no.
    Which is a shame int it!
    What has the BDS got to do with the written legislation? Answer - nothing!

If it meets the calibre/energy requirements for the Deer Act, I can't see any legal reason why not. Police forces/ACPO may put up a fight and while a bit 'different'; legally off the top of my head I can't see any reason why not.

I couldn't agree more mate. I'm currently applying for something a tad different and it's hurdles hurdles hurdles.
    I think a large part of the problem would be that it's a .50 cal or whatever. You may be running sabots in it but at any point you could run a solid lead slug in it.

Personally it really appeals to me, I love single shot guns.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that the OP should call his FEO. Should give a definitive answer rather than applying logic to it, as we know that's not how they work.

250 grains @ 2400fps = 3200 Ft Lbs sounds Deer legal bullet looks over .243" etc

So is a reduced load 458 win mag.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about maybe importing it to the UK after November's US hunting season, hence my post.

Oh you can definitely do that just maybe not hunt with it.