Thread: New / secondhand forend for Lanber shotgun?

New / secondhand forend for Lanber shotgun?

Hi all

The forend of my fairly aged Lanber keeps working loose, and rather than cover the offending screw in threadlock, I was toying with the idea of getting a new forend. My gun has the old smooth curve forend, but I'd like to replace it with a schnabel forend. Does anyone have a Lanber forend knocking around they'd like to sell? Or where should I look to find one? Finally, would the newer style schnabel forend fit, or might the mounting points be different? I don't know the age of my gun offhand, but can check tonight. I suppose wood colour / grain might be a bit different, but that's probably not the end of the world.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandspider View Post
    Hi all

The forend of my fairly aged Lanber keeps working loose, and rather than cover the offending screw in threadlock, I was toying with the idea of getting a new forend. My gun has the old smooth curve forend, but I'd like to replace it with a schnabel forend. Does anyone have a Lanber forend knocking around they'd like to sell? Or where should I look to find one? Finally, would the newer style schnabel forend fit, or might the mounting points be different? I don't know the age of my gun offhand, but can check tonight. I suppose wood colour / grain might be a bit different, but that's probably not the end of the world.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    i think you will be out of luck fitting a newer Lanber forend the location lug is not in the same place on the newer models, try looking and placing an add on guntrader, or ask around your local gun shops, some shops who part x for peanuts will have older guns sat in the back room and may not know what they have,

best of luck with the search, i am a bit of a fan of lanber shotguns and i have had a few over the years.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Cheers Bob.

Yeah, not had much luck finding one. Guess I'll get out the araldite! Having a lesson soon and would be nice if the for end stays tight.

Agreed re the lanbers, great guns for the money.

Blog Entries
    Cheers Bob.

Yeah, not had much luck finding one. Guess I'll get out the araldite! Having a lesson soon and would be nice if the for end stays tight.

Agreed re the lanbers, great guns for the money.
    Hi SS

may i ask what screws are coming loose.

i had a fabarm that had a similar problem, the 2 small screws that hold on the locking mechanism that clips to the barrel stud where for ever coming loose,

i used BLUE loctite and peter on this forum from brighton still uses it to this day.

best of luck but araldite for me is not the best thing.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Sure.

It's the central of the 3 screws in the for end, that holds the metal part of the for end (that clips to the barrel stud as you say) to the wood.

I only mention araldite as I have it - don't have any loctite. Suppose I could get some though! Is it that much better? The screw is fairly oily, so I suppose glues wouldn't stick to it too well...

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Sure.

It's the central of the 3 screws in the for end, that holds the metal part of the for end (that clips to the barrel stud as you say) to the wood.

I only mention araldite as I have it - don't have any loctite. Suppose I could get some though! Is it that much better? The screw is fairly oily, so I suppose glues wouldn't stick to it too well...

Thanks.
    Hi SS

you're not to far away

if you are passing my home area please feel free to pop in, i would look at it and see what i have here to sort it, i would rather you not (i hope i do not offend) mess it up with something that may not do the job.

there are many ways to do it and i would like to think that you could do it in a way that you can service the forend in the future with no issues etc,

regards

bob.

Hi Bob

That's a kind offer, thank you. And no offence taken! However, you're at least an hour from me, so I did a bit of Googling. And found Bond-it A43 blue - a medium strength oil tolerant threadlock. Presumably this would do the trick? (I don't want anything that requires heating to 250C to undo!) It's also about a 5th the cost of Loctite blue, but seems to be well thought of...

Blog Entries
    Hi Bob

That's a kind offer, thank you. And no offence taken! However, you're at least an hour from me, so I did a bit of Googling. And found Bond-it A43 blue - a medium strength oil tolerant threadlock. Presumably this would do the trick? (I don't want anything that requires heating to 250C to undo!) It's also about a 5th the cost of Loctite blue, but seems to be well thought of...
    not a problem SS

i wish you well with it and keep us posted how you get on

best regards

bob.

Hi Bob

Just to update you - I got a bottle of the Bondit blue loctite. Took the forend to pieces last night, cleaned it thoroughly, then fitted it all back together with a dab of loctite on all the screws in the forend. I'll test it out tomorrow at my lesson, and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Blog Entries
    Hi Bob

Just to update you - I got a bottle of the Bondit blue loctite. Took the forend to pieces last night, cleaned it thoroughly, then fitted it all back together with a dab of loctite on all the screws in the forend. I'll test it out tomorrow at my lesson, and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!
    nice one bud

keep me posted...i hope it works

bob.