Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cwd

Cwd

While there`s a few threads about heads

I never got round to having this head measured as the one I took to the Taxidermist for mounting which was bigger than this one and a LOT bigger, got lost ????? or so he said, but that's another story!

I shot this Buck about 15 years ago near to Woburn and wondered if it made a medal then and, if it still does as I think the CIC changed the measuring standards a few years ago ? so I`ve added point of eruption and full length

The measurements are mine and I have erred on the low side

Maybe somebody can give me an Idea if it`s a medal or not ?

Length ( R ) = 97mm from the point of eruption, the full length = 112mm

Length ( L ) = 95mm from the point of eruption, the full length = 111mm

Circumference ( R ) = 32mm

Circumference ( L ) = 31mm

Attachment 45411Attachment 45412Attachment 45413

Bob

If you've measured it correctly it's a very big gold.
    Well worth getting it CIC measured.
    If I was a betting man id say it would be one of the biggest yet...

Hi Bob got one measured this year 81left 81 right Tc28 -28 =gold .With your score I'd say very good Gold .atb Bernie.

Are you sure you did not shoot the last Sabre Toothed Tiger in England???

I would say a gold head easy in my opinion.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

i also agree with SWS
    if your measurements are correct it really wants officially measuring
    could be one of the biggest ever scored

andy

I have been keeping records of deer reported in the Shooting Times list and the highest scoring specimen has a total score of 263 but I don't have the measurements. The second highest scoring buck scored 256 and had individual canine measurements of 93mm and 95mm which is clearly exceeded by yours. I didn't record the circumferences.

The scoring for CWD is relatively simple, it's the combined length and circumference of each canine less the difference between the two totals. I think the length of the canines is the whole canine, not to the point of eruption and, if so, your head scores 284 which makes it the best on the list by a comfortable margin, even if measured from the point of eruption the score is 252 which makes it #3 on the list that I have.

You should definitely have the head officially measured.
    Last edited by paul k; 05-08-2014 at 22:55.

Thank you gentlemen for your comments and advice, I appreciate you taking the time to reply

Just as an add on to this I did shoot a buck on the same estate a year earlier and took it to the taxidermist for mounting, after a few months when I rang him to see how things were getting on he told me that he had lost the tusks.
    Now, whilst I didn`t measure the tusks the friend who took me out said at the time "he had never seen a buck as big in all the years he had been involved with CWD", It was massive in his words, that's what encouraged me to have it mounted thinking it was good and probably I would never get the chance to shoot another.

When I shot the buck pictured my friend said "Oh that`s big, very big .... but not as big as your first one" ( I have some photos somewhere if I could only find them )

In hindsight I was very na´ve and I believed him ( the taxidermist ) that the tusks had been lost, he probably new what he had in front of him and would have had a customer lined up waiting for such a specimen, I later found out that he had been investigated for handling the likes of Tigers and other exotics without the correct paperwork, I did get compensation from the, shall we say Stuffer, because that's exactly what he did he stuffed me !

I should have took the advice given and used known taxidermist instead of looking in yellow pages and using the one that I did.

I can`t prove that this is what happened ( but knowing what I know now about this man, I would put my house on it that that`s the script ) hence no names no pack drill !

Hind sight is a wonderful thing

Regards

Bob

Bob,

If you are right with the measurements then you are looking at around 284 CIC points, which would be the new top score! If you would like to PM me I would like to discuss some other measurements of the skull for some research we are about to start on and if you want the tusks measured I'll sort that for you as well.

TDW

Quote Originally Posted by cicuk View Post
    Bob,

If you are right with the measurements then you are looking at around 284 CIC points, which would be the new top score! If you would like to PM me I would like to discuss some other measurements of the skull for some research we are about to start on and if you want the tusks measured I'll sort that for you as well.

TDW
    TDW

pm sent

Bob