Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NGO Anti-Poaching Conference

NGO Anti-Poaching Conference

Is anybody attending this event next month which is by invitation only.
    Brian

Is there much point in having a conference that is by invite only by an organisation that supports all shooting, we all have these problems.
    How's your end of the gene pool today?

Yes, I'm attending, the whole point of the conference is to raise awareness of the issues nationally fighting poachers and poaching offences.

The event is organised by NGO, representatives of all major interested partner organisations will be there to discuss the way forwards.

Can only be good in my view.

Not a good idea if its a closed shop Andy there are many individuals that have thoughts an ideas that should be taken into account when dealing with crime in our countryside. I remember SNH asking us to hold back from stalking an area a for a few days so they might catch a few poacher. To say they did not have a clue would be an understatement. No poachers were caught and the land owners got spooked with the idea of SNH and wild life police walking over there grounds causing upset and alarm.

Redmist , just because you are attending does not make it a good idea. I agree fully with 6pointer. If a more diverse audience were there it would provide a much better awareness and larger population of listeners.

This is a National conference organised by the NGO.

Invited attendees (i'll avoid using the work guests) who work in the industry - be that BASC, Environment Agency, BDS, National Wildlife Crime Unit, DI and Police from all force areas (to name but a few)

The OP asked if anyone from SD was going - I work in the enforcement side of the wildlife arena,,,,,thats why I'm going

If you have objections as to the way the conference has been organised id suggest you take this up with the NGO, though in these days of austerity, its fantastic that they have arranged this.

I would think that the matters discussed may not be just local issues and frankly, how would one arrange a national open conference - what venue, - I don't think there is one large enough to take "all comers"

Sounds even more like a professional meeting attenders affair.

Maybe you can ask the NGO why before such conferences, spending hard earned members finances they do not seek to get members views and present them.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Sounds even more like a professional meeting attenders affair.

Maybe you can ask the NGO why before such conferences, spending hard earned members finances they do not seek to get members views and present them.

Thats my understanding that it is for professionals.

i'm not an NGO member, perhaps if you are you should ask that question and perhaps we should all be thankful such a conference is taking place at national level maintaining the spotlight on wildlife crime and offences……..

Negativity gets us no where.

I think what the original poster was suggesting was especially in our area that the professionals don't seem to either know the true extent of poaching activity or they appear to make a lot of fuss about what a good job they are doing yet poaching is on the rise whilst deer numbers tumble ,to me with a recent case brought to court and the outcome then all it has achieved is to encourage more people to poach deer . In my eyes there is only one way to stop it as everyone knows who the poachers are , remove there firearms and vehicles and make there life a misery with stop and searches etc

Andy looks like a conference for the Blind leading the blind lol. Fill your boots mate. PS who is footing the bill for this one.